Triumphant Year for the Trumpet Player

Katie Jones, Staff Reporter

Senior Danica Kormansek is a well-known face around the music department, singing in the chorus to playing trumpet in the band. Since the beginning of high school, Kormansek took part in both the band and chorus Music Performance Assessments (MPA); however, due to Covid, all the fun parts of senior year that Kormansek was looking forward to faded away right before her eyes.

The struggle of being in the band during Covid-19 began when Kormansek realized, “All of our classes are mixed, so we have freshmen who’ve never played instruments before with people who are advanced, who’ve been playing since sixth grade.”

Mixed band classes prevented the advanced members from playing more challenging music since beginners can not keep up, meaning this year Kormansek will be playing music she learned her sophomore year.

Give a Hand for Band– Marching band poses for pictures before one of the games. This was the first performance of the year with such a small group. “We didn’t get to march the show during half time, and then our band was so much smaller because they didn’t want to do it because of Covid.”

The worst part of school this year for Kormansek was, “Not really getting to do as much as we normally do, our concerts, our MPA, our competitions. Like marching band season, we weren’t even able to march on the field.”

Band’s MPA will be held virtually, and they will record the students playing selected works. However, instead of being graded like usual, which ranges from poor to superiors, the groups will be given tips on how to improve in future performances, which ruins the feeling of competition for the performers. Besides preparing for MPA this year, Kormansek continued her annual occurrence in the marching band. However, this year was different for the Marching Canes.

“It’s been a big impact like we at least got to play at the home games not taking busses to away games, we didn’t get to go to half the away games.”

One of Kormasek’s toughest breaks this year would have to be the lack of music scholarships. She has been playing the trumpet for six years now and after the elective became more of a passion she hoped to take it and make a career out of it. Before spring break last year Kormansek was looking at local schools offering full scholarships to trumpet players, but after Covid hit, her hopes were wiped away.

” A lot of colleges and everything aren’t really doing scholarships right now because they don’t know what their music programs will look like, the more Covid has happen. It’s hard because they have changed a lot of the requirements.”

Playing Along– Kormansek and Campbell pose for a selfie. They had just finished singing in chorus together. Campbell says, “Danica is very motherly and isn’t afraid to embarrass you like one.”

When spotting Kormansek in the hall,  Erika Campbell (12) will most likely be by her side. Campbell and Kormansek go all the way back to third grade.

“We met in a class, but I asked her to be my best friend at recess,” Campbell states.

Both of them have had multiple classes together and help one another with work and advice. Outside of school, they spend random days watching movies at Campbell’s house or celebrating a birthday at Kormansek’s home.

Through all the hardships of going to school during Covid, Campbell explains, “She’s really hard working and doesn’t hesitate to help others when they ask, overall she’s a very helpful person.”

Kormansek plans to take things easy and not dive into full on college to study the trumpet; instead, ” The plan is to do a jazz band and just have fun with it, not try and do it completely professionally right now because of Covid. But just to have fun.”

For students who are considering the cons of taking band during Covid, Kormansek says, “Even though it may look different, it’s still one of the best times of your life… keep doing it or join because if you don’t, you might regret it in the end. “