Manatee sports alumni banquet

Manatee sports alumni banquet

By: Bella Love, Staff Editor

Thursday, Sept. 20, the alumni of Manatee who made considerable achievements in sports were honored at a banquet that was organized by the Manatee High Alumni Association. The banquet was held at Pier 22 and dinner was served for those who bought tickets to the event. The banquet was held because the 2018 alumni chosen were being inducted into the Athletic Hall of Honor.

From left to right, Chuck Howard, Debbie Smith, Ed Mahoney and Jack Egan, who were all nominated for the Athletic Hall of Honor. Photo Credit: Carolyn Keller.

To be selected for the Athletic Hall of Honor, athletes have to be nominated by anyone who believes they would be worthy for the award. There are five categories: coach, student athlete, contributor, lifetime achievement, and team. It is a high honor for any former Manatee High athlete. The qualifications for an athlete to be chosen is that they have to have graduated from Manatee ten or more years prior from when they are nominated.

This year, there were seven athletes being inducted into the Hall of Honor. These included John Joseph Egan, Charles Perry Howard, James Michael Kelly, Ed Mahoney, Debbie Crowe, Deborah Ann Smith, and the 1995-1996 MHS Men’s Soccer Team.

Egan was a tennis player at Manatee High School, back when tennis at Manatee was just getting started and Bradenton only had four public tennis courts. Egan was the captain of the tennis team at MHS, and he later went on to be appointed as captain of the tennis team at Florida State University his junior year. After he graduated from FSU, Egan served in the army and afterwards attended law school at University of Florida. He is now a retired editorial cartoonist with three daughters, all graduates of Manatee High.

Howard was a linebacker for Manatee from 1983 to 1985. Howard was playing for Manatee High when they won two state championships, in 1983 and 1985. Howard was known for his fighting spirit, and was known by his fellow teammates to have a temper that came in handy on the football field. Howard went to Northeast Mississippi Junior College and Samford University for college, where he continued to play football.

Kelly was a wrestling coach at Manatee High and put in many hours training and teaching the wrestlers. Kelly also coached the USA Wrestling Junior National team from Florida in 1982 and worked in over 40 national and 30 regional tournaments. Kelly was the Key Club sponsor at MHS for many years.

Mahoney was known at Manatee for both track and basketball, holding records in both sports. He was voted MVP in track two years and MVP in basketball too. Mahoney was also listed on a track and field list for the top 440 runners in the country. After high school, Mahoney continued to play basketball and run track at the University of Florida. He currently resides in California with his wife, Pam.

The 1995/1996 Men’s Soccer team pose together with their trophy from the banquet. Photo Credit: Carolyn Keller.

Anyone who is involved in sports or extracurricular activities at Manatee will recognize the name Debbie Crowe, as she has made many generous contributions to the school and their athletic teams. From making charitable contributions to athletic programs, to providing food to the football players, Crowe and the Shake Pit have been a quintessential part of Manatee High life.

Smith was apart of many different sports at Manatee High, including basketball, softball, volleyball, and weightlifting. Smith was constantly practicing and improving her skills in all these sports, which earned her Female Athlete of the Year during her senior year. Smith received a full scholarship to Florida State University, where she continued to play softball. After college, Smith went on to be a first responder for the Manatee County Sheriff’s Department and then became a corrections deputy. In 2006, Smith was awarded the Manatee County Sheriff’s Office Life Saving Award.

The 1995-1996 MHS Men’s Soccer Team was the first soccer team to be nominated for the team category for the Athletic Hall of Honor. They made it all the way to the state regional finals, beating out Tampa Jesuit and Tampa Berkeley Prep.

The athletes being put in the Hall of Honor for 2019 were also announced at the banquet. These athletes included George Wallace, Gary Trapp, Tracy Sanders, Thierry Chau, and the 1975-1976 Boy’s Basketball Team.