Colorguard holds schoolwide clinic

Starting on April 12, the Marching Canes’ own colorguard will be holding a clinic open to anyone looking to try out the activity. Clinics will be held from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. every Monday night until the end of the school year. Any students from any grade level are able to come and meet the team from this past season and get a feel for the group. Middle school students from Manatee County are also welcome.

Official tryouts will be held on May 3, 5, and 7 and participation on all three audition days is mandatory.

So, what exactly is the colorguard?

The guard is made up of students in groups of seven or more armed with one of the three props the sport uses: flag, rifle and sabre. Each of the equipment pieces requires different techniques and skill that come with a higher level of difficulty than the last. Most of the members start with flag and work their way up the ranks.

“I feel like I’ve learned a lot about myself since starting guard,” said sophomore Jasmine Frasier. “It has really helped me work on my teamwork skills and become more involved.”

Contrary to many students idea of the group, they are not affiliated with the JROTC organization. The colorguard participates along with the Sugarcanes dance team during halftime shows, accompanied by the musical styling of the Marching Canes. Like many of the other performing arts programs at the school, the colorguard has a competitive season of their own. After football season is over, the group continues practice for their winterguard season; a competitive circuit consisting solely of colorguard groups from across the country that takes place from December all the way through March. The group just placed fourth in their state competition and are looking to expand their skills in the upcoming clinic.