Mural Mania

Mural+Mania

Dallis Mullett, Editor

As the end of the school year approaches and senior graduation glitters on the horizon, there is a mad dash to prepare for the event and make sure everything is in its place.

With the unfortunate circumstances of Covid-19 and the limited availability of the vaccine to all students, prom was cancelled for the second year in a row. But this did not discourage our staff as they began to plan a week of activities for all senior students.

Swirling Colors: The finished Starry Night mural stands in the second-floor hallway of the art building, awaiting the day it is shipped off to the dinner venue. The school hopes they will be allowed to display the piece elsewhere.

One being the dinner, themed after VanGogh’s famous “Starry Night”, which was recreated by the art club. The club was asked to create a mural to be the centermost piece of décor at the dinner and create a photo-op for students. The painting is 8 by 8 feet and has taken over twelve hours of painting to complete. The club has been hard at work, creating each individual star and stroke, mixing colors to match just right and putting the final details on the masterpiece before it is sent off to be displayed later in the week.

“It started last year when a student drew out the original concept art,” said Ms. Mellissa Link, the newest face in the art department. “From there, we started work and I think its come along nicely.”

Just Keep Swimming: Juniors Idali Meija and Lilly Richards add the final fish onto the mural. The pair has been working with the art club since the start of the project.

On top of the “Starry Night” mural, the Art Department was also commissioned by the school to create a mural to commemorate the class of 2021. For over eight weeks, students from both the art club and the various art classes have been working on creating the beautiful scene, bright enough to be seen from the street.

This year seniors participating in art classes were assigned their own smaller murals that they completed in small groups. These will be displayed outside the building along with the bigger piece, creating the illusion of a reef from the streetside view.

Creatures Ahoy!: Four smaller murals are being given their finishing touches before joining the larger mural outside. Two other pieces are in the works now.

The mural will be positioned along the wall of the school facing Ninth Avenue where it will be displayed for all to see.

“I’m excited to see how the smaller pieces add depth to the larger mural,” says Link. “I think it’s going to be really cool to see when driving down the street.”

After countless hours of work, each of the paintings is nearing completion. Such work is evidence of true Cane Pride and the school’s dedication.