Manatee drops season opener, against Gulliver Prep

Cade Weiskopf, Staff Reporter

The varsity football team came up short in last week’s season opener, losing 20-7 to Miami Gulliver Prep. The Hurricanes aim to even their record on the road at  Lakeland this Friday night.

The plan going forward was to  “Improve over the last game,”   stated Head coach  Jacquez Green. 

Leading the Pack– The Hurricanes jogging in to the locker room after warm ups. Manatee has changed up there gameplan going into the Lakeland game. “We are changing our whole defensive front,” Tyreeke Robinson stated.

However, the team avoided a shut out with a touchdown in the third quarter for its only game points.  Senior Kyree Jones ran for that touchdown.  

The Hurricanes struggled on offense but still managed a few drives. Sophomore Cory Sanders gained 55 yards on the ground.

“It feels really amazing to the lead the team in rushing; I always wanted to play varsity football when I was in middle school; it was great a experience for me,” Cory Sanders said.

Quarterback senior Jayce Berzowski completed 15 of 36 passes for 134 yards and  threw one interception. Are leading receiver for this game was senior Jaleel Duncan, who had five catches for 88 yards.  

Overall the team is working hard this week to get as much practice in as they can. Last week they couldn’t practice because of the weather and the heat index. This week they are back on the field practicing for their next game, Sept.3, Away at Lakeland at 7:30 pm.