The Inheritance Games

Don%E2%80%99t+judge+a+book+by+its+cover+-+The+Inheritance+Games+is+written+for+those+who+enjoy+romance+and+mystery+all+in+one.+The+sequel%2C+The+Hawthorne+Legacy%2C+has+been+recently+released+and+will+add+more+to+the+small+cliffhanger+at+the+ending+of+the+original.+%E2%80%9CI+definitely+am+reading+the+second+book+because+I+just+want+to+figure+out+what+happens+next%2C%E2%80%9D+said+sophomore+Allie+Steffensen.+

Don’t judge a book by its cover – The Inheritance Games is written for those who enjoy romance and mystery all in one. The sequel, The Hawthorne Legacy, has been recently released and will add more to the small cliffhanger at the ending of the original. “I definitely am reading the second book because I just want to figure out what happens next,” said sophomore Allie Steffensen.

Kyrsten White, Staff Reporter

There are many ways to meet new people, but accidentally stealing their inheritance is a little unusual.  

The Inheritance Games is a story of a girl named Avery Kylie Grambs, who suddenly becomes the richest teenager in the world. 

After the death of billionaire Tobias Hawthorne, Avery has pulled away from her life back in Connecticut and towards a new one in Texas. Unfortunately, Tobias’ four grandsons, Nash, Grayson, Jameson, and Alexander are dangerous, and flip Avery’s world upside down.  

Avery and the boys do not understand why she is the one who ended up with the inheritance instead of them. So now, they must go through a puzzling mystery to find out how she is possibly connected to them. Between the four of them, Tobias’ two daughters, his mother-in-law, and security detail, she’s got a long journey ahead of her.  

Avery and her sister, Libby, must learn to adapt to living in the puzzling Hawthorne House. Around every corner, there seems to be someone who wants to take what Avery’s been given back. Plus, everyone from back in Connecticut messaging her, trying to become her new best friend.  

The longer Avery lives in the house, the closer she gets to the people there as well. The second oldest Hawthorne grandson, Grayson, believes that Avery is there to con them out of an inheritance. Meanwhile, the third oldest, Jameson, believes that she’s the clue to some big puzzle, their grandfather’s final mystery for them to figure out. The oldest of the four, Nash, doesn’t really care for the money, as the youngest, Alexander, mostly just tries to make Avery comfortable everywhere they go. But she never truly learned what everyone always says, never trust a Hawthorne.  

This book is full of mystery and romance and is well-rated in the reading community. “I really enjoyed it, it was a very fun book, and it was also pretty easy to read,” said Allie Steffensen (10). While reading it, you can’t help but wonder what’s going to happen next. There are so many twists and turns that you find yourself lost inside.  

Author Jennifer Lynn Barnes is can capture so many emotions in one book that it makes you want to read the sequel, The Hawthorne Legacy. The next book is available for purchase on Amazon, so keep your eyes open for the next book and its review.  

Personally, this book did not hold up to its high reviews from everyone else. It was not as appealing as the cover. The mystery turned romance was unnecessary, as it made no contribution to the plot. The way Avery was written at the beginning of the book was in an independent way, but nearing the end of the book, she started to fall for not one, but two of the Hawthorne brothers. In one of the first scenes of the book, she stands up for herself, even when she could get in trouble. But nearing the end, she started to depend more on all four of the brothers help. She should have just been written as a girl who does not need anyone around to try and help her. As Avery’s character started to fall for the boys, she started to become more and more helpless. It was not a good character development and could have been written in many other ways. This tends to happen with most YA stories, but there is no need for it. If the main character is a girl, and the book is not meant to be a romance book, then she should not fall in love with a guy.

Rating: ★★☆☆☆