Behind the scenes of homecoming

Behind the scenes of homecoming

By: Bella Love, Staff Editor

Homecoming week is one of the most exiting and widely-anticipated events of the school year for Manatee High students. While many students participate in homecoming and the events surrounding it, most do not realize what goes into pulling the week together.

First of all, planning for homecoming begins even before the school year actually starts. Every member of senate selects a homecoming theme and comes up with ideas for the corresponding days. The senate members then vote on their top three. Once it is narrowed down to three, the students pick their favorite one.

When the school year actually starts, members of senate begin the actual planning of the dance, the game, and everything that goes along with the celebrations of homecoming week. It is pretty mellow until about the week before the game, and by then it gets pretty insane. All the planning committees get into high gear to execute all the moving parts involved in homecoming.

Senate members created a coal reef for the dance using pool noodles and spray paint. Photo credit: Michael Perez.

The Monday of homecoming week, senate members come into class, fully outfitted in their “shipwrecked” looks and then go out to the amphitheater to take pictures of all the students decked out in themed outfits. The senate students continue this routine every morning of homecoming week. After school, members went to the talent show to watch Manatee students show off their skills.

The Powderpuff game is on Wednesday, and senate goes to either play, volunteer, or just cheer their class on. Junior class board sponsored the event. Ms. Grandstad helps sell concessions and some senate members play in the game as either Powderpuff cheerleaders or football players. Senate also helps set up the bonfire by getting pallets, getting the fire marshal on standby, and making sure everyone is safe.

Friday is definitely the busiest day for any senate member. As soon as they get to school, members go to the gym and starts decorating for the dance on Saturday. This involved hanging up lights, spray painting pool noodles, and going through an insane amount of duck tape. After setting up the dance all day, senate members go to the pep rally. Some members make sure that the Sugarcanes, Powderpuff cheerleaders, step team, and all the other performers know where to go and when. Other members direct the freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors to their designated section. Most importantly, the senate members have to set off the confetti cannons at the end of the pep rally.

The refreshments table at the dance, which was run by the amazing parent volunteers. Photo Credit: Michael Perez.

At the homecoming game on Friday night, senate members help out with the football game. Sophomore class board partners with culinary to put on the barbecue. Senate also helps set up the tailgate that occurs before the game.

The next day is the dance, and the dance committee helps with any final touches that need to be done before the dance. The parents of some of the members also help chaperone and set up, which is a huge help. At the actual dance, senate members can just kick back and enjoy.

The day after the homecoming dance, senate is back at school again to clean up the gym. Senate members clean floors, take down decorations, and roll up mats. After members finish the clean-up, homecoming week is officially over.

The most important element in all of this is the senate teacher, Mr. Perez. He is there every step of the way, making sure everything runs smoothly and spends countless hours preparing for and setting up the memorable week. Senate is incredibly grateful for everything he does and without him, Manatee would not even have a homecoming.