Florida Teen Reads

Tori Watson, Staff Reporter

By: Tori Watson, Staff Reporter 

Florida Teen Reads book choices. Photo Credit: Tori Watson

The Florida Teen Reads (FTR) is a student- choice reading award program to determine which YA book wins the annual award as the favorite of teens in Florida. All local high schools take part in this program each year to engage teens to do more reading. The 15 books chosen for the program have been chosen by a group of 12 librarians specifically to conduct more reading, and so teens have the chance to reflect on their dislikes of the book and their likes. The committee of the 12 librarians meet in the Spring to chose the books for the following year. According to the Florida Teen Reads website, in October at the FAME annual conference, the committee narrows down the long list of the hundreds of titles they have read that have a publishing date of the current and previous year to the short list of the 75 titles. Then, in the late Spring they meet again to discuss which books will make the final list of the 15 titles, taking the students reviews and opinions into consideration. This is a voluntary program. 

Florida Teen Reads sign up paper. Photo Credit: Tori Watson

To sign up for Florida Teen Reads at Manatee High School, go to the library and upon walking in, there is a spread of the teen choice books, and a clipboard with a permission slip to be apart of the program. Fill in your first and last name, your English teacher and period, the date and then you turn it in to the librarian which is Mrs. Roff. For the program the participants must read three out of the 15 titles, get a pin after finishing one of the titles, and then leave a personal thought about the book in a notebook. After finishing three or more of the 15 titles the participants will receive a treat from none other than Mrs. Roff.

More Florida Teen Reads book choices. Photo Credit: Tori Watson

This years fifteen titles consist of “The Belles” by Dhonielle Clayton; “Daughter of the Pirate King” by Tricia Levenseller; “This is Our Story” by Ashley Elston; “What to Say Next” by Julie Buxbaum; “Want” by Cindy Pon; “Love Hate & Other Filters” by Samira Ahmed; “Invictus” by Ryan Graudin; “The Hate U Give” by Angie Thomas; “My Sister Rosa” by Justie Larbalestier; “The One Memory of Flora Banks” by Emily Barr; “Goodbye Days a Novel” by Jeff Zentner; “A List of Cages a Novel” by Robin Roe; “In Other Lands a Novel” by Sarah Rees Brennan. “Defy the Stars” by Claudia Gray, and lastly “Letters To the Lost” by Brigid Kemmerer.

“This program is designed too entice teens to read. In order to engage their interest and to provide a spur to critical thinking, the book selections include these that involved sensitive issues. The content of some of the titles may be more mature than younger students may have previously encountered. Please recognize that this is a voluntary reading program. Not every book selected will suit every student. In a democratic society, a variety of ideas must find voice. As readers, teens have the choice to read the more mature titles or close the book.”, according to the Florida Teen Reads website.

About the Writer
Tori Watson, Staff Reporter

Tori Watson is a sophomore at Manatee High School, she enjoys reading and participates in the National Honors Society. She loves to scrapbook in her spare...