Hurricane Highlight: Ms. Akilla Miller

Welcome to Biology. Miller displays the diagram for the brain in the background. Her continued accomplishments as a teacher will be preserved in the students she has taught throughout the years. “Seeing my students be successful. Inside of the classroom and outside and in life. I always tell students, ‘I may teach science or language arts, but when you leave my classroom I want you to be a successful human being and to add value into the world,” said Miller.

Amy Lu, Staff Reporter

For 11 years, Ms. Akilla Miller has tirelessly inspired students from all walks of life. Her dedication to teaching has brought out the best in her students. Plenty of them graduated top of their class and even headed off to Ivy League institutions.

While attending Manatee, Miller was a fantastic student, dual enrolling at Manatee Technical Institute. Her love for science has always resonated with her, specifically chemistry and biology. I even worked as a pharmacist technician during high school.

“I fell into the teaching profession since I was going to school to be a pharmacist. I decided to change my major and graduated from college, and then decided to be a paraprofessional to see if teaching was something I wanted to do. And decided it was the career for me,” said Miller.

Not only has she motivated and encouraged her students in her class. Returning to her alma mater, Miller is honored to continue the tradition of Hurricanes. Her effect on education spreads more to the students she teaches. She is impacted by her students, similar to how she influences them.

“Students who have made a lasting impression on me are hardworking and the underdog in ways. They work hard to be successful inside and outside school. Some have gone on to be valedictorians of their class and be great students in college. And also the students that see what others don’t see. They see the hard work that the teacher does, and they make life a teacher a little bit easier,” said Miller.

Although her passion for teaching is evident in her dedication to her students, like all careers, some aspects are appreciated and enjoyed, and a few where are not.

“My least favorite part about teaching is grading. That is an easy answer; I hate grading work. But my favorite part is the ‘Ah-ha’ moment. It’s the moments where students get it, and you worked so hard for them to understand the information, and then it’s like the light bulb comes on,” said Miller.

Within the past few years, there has been a decline in teaching due to teachers’ and students’ severe lack of educational services. Educators like Miller breathe a new life into the beautiful world of education to become and provide the educational services many students around the country desperately need. Her resilience, passion and dedication have shown more than a light bulb. It displays hope for the future students and a better world, all by teachers like Miller impacting them.