I Know What You Watched Last Summer

Photo courtesy of pexels.com

As students shed their book bags and were released for summer break, their minds race with hundreds of ideas of what to do… unfortunately not all these ideas come to fruition. With all the extra time between working or babysitting younger siblings, these bored former students must find something to fill the space. When all else fails they turn to their favorite streaming apps, including Netflix, Hulu and Disney+.  

Fortunately, the summer of 2022 had many films and shows planned to be released for everyone to go see in their free time. But there were some big things that students just could not wait to see.  

One of the bigger movies that had many people on the edge of their seats was Tom Cruise’s Top Gun: Maverick. This movie was released on May 27th of this year. It is the long-awaited sequel to the original movie Top Gun, which was released in 1986. Even with this 36 year long gap between, there was a large amount of people who were just brimming with excitement when they heard a new movie was coming out.  

“Normally with such a long space of time or with a sequel, they’ll get off topic or add in new things that didn’t happen in the original, but with this new movie it just connected perfectly, and all made sense,” said junior Olivia Isaac. 

This summer also boasted new seasons of beloved shows, including Stranger Things season four. This season added a whole new twist to everything, introducing new a slightly shocking amount of new characters for so close to its ending. Fans were on the edge of their seats just waiting for this new season, considering season three aired in 2019. Something that was different about this season from the other three, is that it was released in two volumes. The first seven episodes came out on May 27th and the final two came out a month later, on July 1st. 

“I don’t understand why they did it because it made it more stressful for me because they left it on a cliff hanger,” said junior Kaiwen Wan. “I don’t like the fact that they basically erased the last season of Eleven at the lab, it felt like a rip off X-man type of thing.” 

Another big hit of the summer was the sixth installment of the Jurassic Park and Jurassic World franchise. The first Jurassic Park movie came out in 1993. The next two movies included more stories about the two islands filled with dinosaurs. The third movie was released in 2001, then 14 years later in 2015 a new movie called Jurassic World was released. They continued the series without the original cast, until the newest one, which was released on June 10th, Jurassic World: Dominion 

“I thought it was really good, it honestly felt like one of those Marvel movies where everything is separated and then it all comes together for the last time,” said sophomore Madelyn Altenbernd. “I liked how they added a lot of different aspects that made it feel different while allowing it to still feel the same in a way.”