Join a Club This Year!

The month of August is here which means clubs are back in full swing. If you are interested in joining any of our clubs, here is some useful information to know before you do.

KEY CLUB

Key Club is a fantastic way to earn community service hours. You participate in cleaning up your local environment, the campus, participating in food drives, and numerous amounts of different activities. The club application is due on September 4th to Mr. Bokelmann, one of the board members, or you can turn it in at the meeting that day. The dues are $30 and should be turned in after you are accepted. Meetings are Tuesday’s  at 7am in the library. For any further information feel free to check out the key club’s Instagram: @manateekeyclub or talk to Mr. Bokelmann and Mr. Mills.

HOSA

HOSA, Health Occupations Students of America, is a student organization where any student looking forward to learning essential skills such as: leadership, patience, and adaptability which are crucial to help students gain knowledge about the healthcare field. They participate in competing at every level including regional, state and internationally, a yearly fall conference in Arcadia. They plan to do numerous fundraising activities this year. Anyone interested in joining is welcome to, the applications are being handed out on August 24th at the first meeting in room 2-205 with Mrs. Sollenberger. There is a $50 fee which covers all registration costs. All meetings are every Wednesday after school in room 2-205. For any further information please feel free to check out their Instagram @manateehosa or talk to Mrs. Sollenberger in room 2-205.

MU ALPHA THETA

Mu Alpha Theta, a National Mathematics Honor Society, is the club to join if you are interested in math-related activities. One of their biggest activities is tutoring fellow classmates and high school students in different grade levels in math, which can also count for community service hours. Anyone in Algebra 2 Honors or higher and with a 3.0 unweighted GPA is eligible to join. The applications can be found in Ms. Granstad’s room in 2-259 or Ms. Nance’s in 3-357. There is a fee which can be paid to Ms. Granstad in room 2-259. There are three mandatory meetings, which are still to be determined, they are held both before school and after school in room 2-259. For any further information please feel free to talk to either Ms. Granstad or Ms. Nance in their respective rooms.

FBLA

FBLA, Future Business Leaders of America, is an organization which helps prepare students who are looking for careers in the business world. They help do this by fundraising for their competitions which take place around spring break. They are also a combined group with Youth in Action (which works to prevent drug use). FBLA runs red ribbon week (which brings awareness to the dangers of drug use and addiction) and they are looking forward to doing community service. Their meetings are on Wednesdays after school in room 2-210 with Mr. Dunbar. Anyone can join by signing up and paying a $20 fee to Mr. Dunbar. For any further information please feel free to check their Instagram @manateeyiafbla or talk to Mr. Dunbar in room 2-210.

SNHS

SNHS, Science National Honor Society, is an organization where students who want a career based in the scientific field can come together to help tutor those in science-based classes, help set up the foundation of the science fair, and clean up the environment. Some requirements to join are currently being enrolled in an honors science course or above, an unweighted GPA of 3.0, a B+ average in science course, appropriate behavior, and participating in a science related competition. Their meetings start on September 12th in Ms.Miller’s room in 2-234 Mondays after school. For any further information please feel free to talk to Ms. Miller in room 2-234.

ENVIRONMENTAL CLUB

The environmental club is where students join to advocate for a safer and cleaner environment for all those involved in it. They take action to conserve and protect the environment by starting locally. Some activities include cleaning up the Bradenton and Palmetto area and they also have field trips to learn about the conservation of the Earth. They also have a yearly competition called the “Envirothon”! Anyone who would like to be a part of restoring the environment can join the club. No dues or applications are needed to participate in the environmental club. Meetings are after school every other Tuesday in room 2-225. For any further information please feel free to check out their Instagram @mhs_enviroclub or talk to Mrs. Elswick in room 2-225.