Body Image

By: Emma Stromberg, Staff Reporter

Body image is how one sees themselves when they look in the mirror. Everyone has a different image of what the “perfect body” looks like. The reality is, all bodies are perfect in their own ways. So many people have such a hard time understanding and believing this concept though.

Staying positive, although hard, is the best thing to do in this case. As soon as one even thinks of criticizing themselves, ask “Would you say this to a friend?” Some people think that if they put others down, it will make them feel better about their body, but that is not always the case. Bringing out the best in people will help you find the great things about yourself.

“Your worth is not measures by the size of you waist” Photo credit: theodyessy.com

Realize that numbers are just numbers. Weight does not define who a person is or what they are worth. Same with the size of clothes, it honestly does not matter if one person is a large and one is an extra-small. Do not categorize people based on size. Whether it be face, body, or the number that is associated with clothes, do not compare. It will just make everyone feel worse about themselves. Also, notice that everyone gets insecure, so do not feel alone.

“I have been insecure about sometimes feeling like I am 200 pounds more than I am, and to get over I just look in the mirror and tell myself that I am overreacting,” says a sophomore girl student here at Manatee.

Find the right kind of friends. Find the people that bring others up. Find the people that praise others for even small things. Do not hang out with the people that make fun of others and have an adverse effect on everything and everyone.

“Think about the women whom you are hanging with and whether they are healthy for your body image. Avoid or distance from “lookist” people and groups that are overly focused on physical appearance and achieving unrealistic physical standards. Cultivate relationships with people and groups with healthy body images and practices,” says Shawn M. Burn Ph.D.

Exercise for the mental aspect, not the physical. Do not go to the gym and push to the limits for results that will not occur as fast as one wishes. Go for the sake of feeling better, not looking better.

“The best thing I ever did for my body image was work out and fuel it with healthy food. I lost a little weight, but no significant changes. What did change was that I finally felt powerful and strong. My thick thighs were no longer fat, they were machines to power my squats. It shifted my mind more than my body.” says Tracie T., someone who has struggled with their body image and decided to give her advice on Buzzfeed.

Having a positive body image is not always the easiest thing to do. It can take a lot of time to fully love the body that one is born with. Take some time to really reflect on what makes each individual unique and beautiful with these steps into consideration.