“Venom” is a surprisingly funny anti-hero story

By: Bella Love, Staff Editor

“Venom” starts as a gritty antihero drama, but as it progresses it turns into a story of an unlikely friendship between a man and the alien parasite that shares his body. If this sounds weird, that is because it totally is. It is wonderfully abnormal, funny and wildly entertaining.

“Venom” is about a man named Eddie Brock who is an investigative journalist with his own show and is engaged to a successful lawyer named Anne. During an interview with Carlton Drake, a brilliant but corrupt scientist, Eddie steals information from one of Anne’s cases to confront Carlton with, which ends up getting both him and Anne fired from their jobs. After this, Eddie’s life completely falls apart. That is, until he meets Venom, the alien parasite Carlton brought to earth. Venom attached himself to Eddie’s body and attempts to help him get his life back together, while they try to stop Drake from murdering innocent people with his parasites for scientific advancement.

The best part of this movie is the relationship between Eddie and Venom. When Venom attaches to his body, Eddie not only gains an evil, man-eating parasite, but also a sort-of therapist. Venom needs Eddie, so he tries to help him stay alive and get Anne back. Eddie teaches Venom that biting people’s heads off is not always the best form of conflict resolution and that there are certain people Venom should not eat.

The slightly terrifying Venom/Eddie hybrid, played by Tom Hardy. Photo Credit: Sony Pictures.

Arguably, the most important part of any Marvel movie is the final fight scene and “Venom” has an incredible one. The special effects of the two fighting aliens morphing together and breaking apart like paint splatters is visually amazing. Plus, it takes place on a rocket launcher. It is definitely one of Marvel’s most epic fight scenes.

The villain of the movie, Carlton Drake, is frighteningly realistic in this current climate. Carlton is constantly doing things for the “greater good,” or at least what he believes to be the “greater good.” His main mission is to study the alien parasites so that if earth is ruined by climate change, the humans have an escape. He is reminiscent of Elon Musk, who is also a controversial figure that is thought to be a scientific genius fighting for the welfare of the planet.

Part of the reason this movie was so hilarious was because of the incredibly comical cast. For some of the cast, it was no surprise that they were funny, like Jenny Slate, who has a long-running comedy career that includes shows like “Parks and Recreation” and “Saturday Night Live” or Reid Scott, who is known for his role in the comedy series “Veep.” For others though, it was a complete surprise, like Tom Hardy. Based on his past roles, there is no evidence to suggest he would be even remotely funny. From “Dunkirk” to “The Dark Night Rises,” Hardy is not especially known for his humor. However, he brought a light and charming side to the roll of Eddie.

Jenny Slate in her role as scientist Dr. Dora Skirth. Photo credit: Sony Pictures.

“Venom” may not have been the movie people expected to see when they entered the theaters, but it was an amazing movie nonetheless. It was amusing but still dark and twisted, with a great antihero. “Venom” is currently still in theaters and it is a great watch.