Filed under Cane News

Academic Team leads to success

Academic Team leads to success

Mr. Murry along with his fellow members in A-Team, talking among one another. Photo Credit: Zyonn Singleton

The Academic Team is a club, at Manatee High, that focuses on academically driven students. They have meets and competitions against other schools where they are asked questions from the high school curriculum. The questions can range anywhere from mathematics, to physics, to literature. Although the club mainly consists of students with a high academic inspiration, anyone can join. This club is currently ran and sponsored by Mr. Murray, who is the Advanced Placement U.S. History teacher. Their meetings are held every Tuesday and Wednesday.

Example questions of the High School National Championship. Photo Credit: National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC (NAQT)

During the meets, the members get in groups of two to four. Depending on how many people are at the meet, they will compete against one another to actually experience what it is like to be in a meet.

Even though it may seem competitive within the room, this is so that each and every member within the room gets to practice. This builds the team up, so that they prepare for the district level, as well as the state level, then eventually the international level if Manatee’s A-Team reaches that far.

An example question may go something like this, “Name this procedure, in modern medicine it is subject to the risk of agglutination, in which incompatible erythrocytes clump together.” The correct answer is blood transfusion. They must work as quickly as possible,  in their head or figure it out on a piece of paper, once they find their answer they have to hit the buzzer. It has to be done quickly or else the other team will beat them to the answer. Which ever team gets the question right is awarded a certain amount of points, depending on the complexity of the question.

“I have been on the Academic Team since my freshmen year, and I truly enjoy, you’ll love the experience if you decide to join,” says Issac Garrot, a Manatee High School Junior.

Academic Team working ferociously to answer the question. Photo Credit: Zyonn Singleton

The Academic Team is a great club to join for those who would like a  bit of a challenge outside of the normal curriculum from the average class. It is a great activity, especially for those who enjoy school and for those who would like to see the knowledge they have obtained over the years. It is a great extra curricular that will appear great on a a college resume.

If you would like more information on the club, please contact Mr. Murray located in the Davis Building 8-216.