The Tempest at Manatee High School

The Tempest at Manatee High School

IN GOOD COMPANY- The actors of The Tempest answer questions from students in the audience. Their answers revealed more about their personal background and acting tips. “I know for me, [acting] has always been something I feel passionately about.” actor Sara Linares who played Caliban said.

Camryn Souders, Staff Reporter

By Camryn Souders, staff reporter

On Oct. 30, Asolo Rep and the FSU/Asolo Conservatory for Actor Training performing arts put on their production of Shakespeare’s play The Tempest, using bright colors, music, choreography, and humor. The play combined many aspects of performing arts such as: dance, music, puppetry and acting.

Starring as Prospera was DeAnna Wright, the sorcerer and antagonist. Prospera’s brother, Antonio (Dylan Crow) took her place as Duke of Milan with the help of the queen of Naples, Alonsa (Katie Sah.) She was exiled to an island with her daughter, Miranda (Jenny Vallancourt.) There, Prospera had two servants, a spirit named Ariel (Olivia Osol) and Caliban, an island native (Sara Linares.)

Ariel (far left) watches Caliban (center), Trinculo (left) and Stephano (right)

The story begins with a shipwreck, caused by Prospera. The members of the ship are stranded on her island. Alonsa, her son Ferdinand (Scott Shomaker), Antonio, and two workers, Trinculo (Andrew Hardaway) and Stephano (Matthew Kresch.) Their story interpretation included a lot of humor and made the audience feel engaged and amused.

As the story develops, the characters interact more and make self discoveries. The actors ability to use entire different personalities when necessary was impressive. Prospera could be kind and maternal to Miranda, but commanding and harsh to Caliban. The range of skill kept the production interesting and relatable.

The lighting and special effects made an indoor play taking place on an island seem realistic. When Prospera or Ariel used magic, flashing lights and perfectly timed sound effects made it hard to remember they had props, not real staffs or magic. This added a dramatic and supernatural feeling.

As the play ended, the actors sat down and explained their role as third year students at FSU and let students ask questions. They gave tips on memorizing lines and revealed how they each got involved in acting and theater.

Total, the play ran around an hour. Anyone who enjoys Shakespeare, theater or interesting story lines with phenomenal special effects should take time to see it.

About the Writer
Camryn Souders, Staff Reporter

Camryn "Cammy" Souders is a junior at Manatee High, but will be graduating this school year. She plans to become a neonatal nurse. She loves God, art,...