Do more than give thanks this holiday season, give food for Feed the Hungry

By: Brooklyn Eliseo, Staff Reporter

The MHS “Feed the Hungry” food-drive is an opportunity for people at Manatee High to show their holiday spirit and bring in food for the families that are struggling this holiday season. Students are encouraged to bring in any canned or nonperishable food to their first period class. Each class was given a box labeled with the food drive information. Students may bring as many items as they would like. For an incentive, after the last day of donations, all the classes’ items will be counted and the class with the most wins a free breakfast.

“Thanksgiving is a time to share our blessings. We are collecting food for the less fortunate in our community,” posted on the flyer that is attached to each box.

The event started on Nov. 5 and will be continuing until Nov. 16. Manatee High’s Student Council teamed up with “Mayor’s Feed the Hungry” for this service project that reaches throughout the whole school. In past years, some classes have blown others out of the water with their determination to win the breakfast and show their support to the community. A teacher on campus, famous  for her excessive amount of winning, is Ms. Zalo. Her motive every year is to show her students how to get out and do great things by simple tasks.

When being interviewed, Ms. Zalo said, “I actually bring in 12 cans for every can each student brings in because I think it is a good cause and it gets the students to bring in stuff.”

This exemplary act of kindness is a great thing for the students at Manatee to follow and shows that it is the little things in life that will make a difference.