“The Chilling Tales of Sabrina” versus “Riverdale”

CHILLING ADVENTURES OF SABRINA

CHILLING ADVENTURES OF SABRINA

Diyah Pera/Netflix

CHILLING ADVENTURES OF SABRINA

Diyah Pera/Netflix

Diyah Pera/Netflix

CHILLING ADVENTURES OF SABRINA

By: Bella Love, Staff Editor

“The Chilling Tales of Sabrina” came to Netflix in October, right in time for Halloween. It is a dark retelling of the “Sabrina the Teenage Witch” comics that take place in the same universe as the Archie comics. “The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina” was made by the creators of “Riverdale,” which is another dark retelling of the Archie comics. However, there are some major differences in quality between “Riverdale” and “The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.” “The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina” is dark, gritty and genuinely terrifying while still being funny and even endearing at times. Whereas the only scary thing about “Riverdale” is Cheryl Blossom’s seriously awful one liners and the incredibly cringe-worthy acting by all of the “teens” in the show that are played by full-grown adults.

Sabrina’s boyfriend, Harvey, who is played by former Disney star Ross Lynch. Photo Credit: Netflix.

“Riverdale” and “The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina” are both shows aimed at a teenage audience, so a cute love story is an essential aspect in keeping the viewers interested. The relationship between Harvey and Sabrina is interesting enough to keep the viewers watching and genuinely really cute. The relationships in “Riverdale” are so incredibly boring and the writers fail to make the characters compatible in any way. The relationship drama is forgettable at best and the writers keep using the same storylines over and over again which gets repetitive.

The main difference between “The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina” and “Riverdale” is the acting. While both shows have a love interest played by a former Disney star, the difference between Cole Sprouse and Ross Lynch is quite noticeable. Sprouse’s portrayal of Jughead Jones is extremely stuck-up and fake-deep. To be fair though, the writing is part of the problem and Sprouse’s acting does not help. Lynch’s Harvey is innocent and kind; there is never any doubt that he really is in love with Sabrina. At times though, he has to make tough decisions and he goes through a lot throughout the series and Lynch does an amazing job of capturing his emotions.

The incredibly forgettable main characters of “Riverdale.” Photo Credit: The CW.

“The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina” also has a more fully developed characterization than “Riverdale.” All of the characters in “Riverdale” are extremely self-absorbed and most of their actions seem to only be to benefit themselves. That is, with the exception of FP Jones, played by Skeet Ulrich, in the second season, which is probably the only good actor in the entire show. The characters in “The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina,” however, constantly put others before themselves, like when Suzy stays with Rosalind and her grandmother instead of fleeing to safety with the others, or when Sabrina risks her life to try to save Harvey’s brother.

“The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina” is currently available to stream on Netflix, as is “Riverdale,” but “Riverdale” is a complete and total mess, so maybe just watch “The Suite Life of Zach and Cody” instead, because Cole Sprouse’s acting is much better in that show. “The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina,” however is a great spooky watch on par with Netflix’s “Stranger Things.”