Standing for the flag is a form of respect

Noah Quillan, Editor-In-Chief

By: Noah Quillan, Editor-In-Chief

Standing for the Pledge of Allegiance is a form of respect that should be strictly enforced at every school in the United States. The meaning behind the pledge is far more purposeful than many seem to think and sitting down during it is disrespectful to our country and to the people who serve it. Some stay seated just because they do not want to get up, while others sit as a sign of protest. Even though there are certainly legitimate reasons to protest, doing it during the pledge is not the place or time.

Standing for respect: Ms. Thomas’s Culinary Arts class getting up to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance. Photo credit: Noah Quillan

“We stand for the flag not to focus on what divides us but on what unites us, which is being an American,” reported The Hill.

The Hill also stated that over 1.2 million people have died due to war. Those 1.2 million individuals took their lives for the sake of others, so to stay seated during that time is simply a form of ignorance and should not be tolerated.

At Manatee High, the full pledge is recited every morning. At some schools in the US, the line, “One nation under God” is left out. Saying the pledge in its full entity should be mandatory, because even though some may not agree with that line, it is a crucial part to the pledge. The line is essentially saying that the country was formed under God and that people are free to believe as they wish.

“I was raised by both a mother and a father who served in the military. From a very young age, I was taught American values and beliefs, and that standing for the pledge shows respect for those fighting to defend America and shows respect to those who have lost their lives doing the same,” said Rain Miller, an eleventh grader.

Miller perfectly portrayed how the pledge should be viewed. People fought and continue to fight for America, so spending only about thirty seconds out of one’s day is not too much to ask for in exchange for freedom and independence.

One thing that almost everyone can agree on is that there are certainly significant problems in America, however, there are proper and respectful ways to voice opinions regarding those issues. Peaceful protests are a great thing and have caused many nationwide movements. Something along that nature would be far more acceptable than sitting down and “protesting” during the Pledge of Allegiance.

At Manatee, students are required at minimum to stand for the pledge unless a note with a parent signature is brought in. Whether it be laziness or perhaps a form of protest, excuses should not be made for not being able to show respect to people that died for America’s freedom.