“Kingdom of Ash” is straight fire

“Kingdom of Ash” is straight fire

By: Kaitlyn Schafer, Editorials, Reviews, and Features Editor

*The following contains spoilers to the “Throne of Glass” series. Proceed with caution.*

After years in the making, Sarah J. Maas’s #1 “New York Times” bestselling “Throne of Glass” series finally draws to an epic, unforgettable conclusion. Aelin Galathynius, the main character’s, journey from slave to the King of Adarlan’s assassin to a queen of a once-great kingdom reaches a heart-wrenching finale as war erupts across her world. With a grand total of 980 pages, “Kingdom of Ash” does not disappoint and will leave readers wishing there were more books.

Sarah J. Maas, author of the “Throne of Glass” series, Photo credit: BookPage

Locked in an iron coffin by Maeve, Queen of the Fae, Aelin Ashryver Galathynius must contain her powers while she endures months of torture. Knowing that yielding to Maeve will doom the ones she loves forever keeps her from breaking, though she can only stand it for so much longer.

With Aelin captured, Aedion and Lysandra are the last line of defense to keep the kingdom of Terrasen from utter destruction against the evil Erawan’s army. They soon realize that the many allies they have gathered to fight Erawan’s forces will not be enough to save them all. Scattered across their world, Chaol Westfall, Dorian Havilliard, and Manon Blackbeak all follow their own paths in order to secure their own fates.

Meanwhile, across the continent in Wendlyn, Rowan Whitethorn Galathynius, along with his companions, hunts to find his captured wife and queen before she is lost to him forever. As the stories of these characters weave together at last, all must fight in this final battle against evil if they are to have a chance at a happy future. While some bonds will grow deeper, others may be severed forever in this final installment.

Sarah J. Maas has always done a fantastic job in simultaneously telling the stories of a variety of different characters. Maas’s writing style has readers switching perspectives between characters constantly, keeping readers up to date on the different stories being told. From book one, the only characters that had a story to follow were Chaol, Dorian, and Aelin. Whereas in book three, “Heir of Fire,” characters like Aedion, Manon, Rowan, along with many others were introduced. What is so different and exciting about “Kingdom of Ash” is that all the stories of the different characters are now all being weaved together and combined, as well as certain characters meeting at last.

“Kingdom of Ash” book cover, Photo credit: Amazon

The characters in this series are complex and never boring. Aelin Galathynius in the series’s beginning was an orphan trained by an assassin. She is arrogant, skilled, and witty, and never once says sorry for being talented, determined, and utterly in love with herself. She is a highly capable character who also has numerous amounts of faults, which are mentioned and stressed upon greatly in “Kingdom of Ash”. Her final development in this book is nothing short of amazing and is emotionally draining for any reader who loves the character.

The world in the “Throne of Glass” series is fantastically built, and in this installment, more areas in the world of Erilea are explored. Manon, a witch of the Blackbeak witch coven, delves deeper into the land of the Crochan witches, which has never been seen in the previous books. Maas’s description of the different lands and kingdoms in her world are easily distinguished from one another. Kingdoms like Terresan are usually described as mountainous with a smell of pine and snow, where the kingdom of Morath is described mainly as dark and unappealing.

For readers who are into high fantasy books, that include: magic, romance, mythical lands and creatures, and loads of action, the “Throne of Glass” series is perfect.

“Kingdom of Ash” gets a 5/5 rating for its enthralling characters, epic action scenes, fantastical realms and its grand culmination.