The fiddlers on the Davis Building

The fiddlers on the Davis Building

Katie Jones, Staff Writer

Here you can find all types of talents around the school, from the award-winning band to the rhythmic step dancers. There is one group at school who little know about, but definitely should because they are some of the most devoted musicians; therefore one could notice through listening to their music. The fiddlers, are made up by students who spend hours every day perfecting their music abilities and then putting them to the test at a variety of gigs, they are the image of devotion to the art of music and express it through their tuneful songs.

The fiddlers are what Emily Eskildsen, the orchestra teacher, refers to as “The performing group” meaning they play outside of class a great deal more than the other orchestra classes. “We usually do gigs that help the school out. Like, we performed at a Sugar Canes show. We also played for the school board once,” stated first-year member of fiddlers, Khilea Bliss. They are also the group that goes out on stage during school concerts and play while other orchestra groups are transitioning onto the stage behind the curtains. “Since fiddlers go out to more gigs often we pick a balanced repertoire. Including jigs, slip jigs, and so on, to keep the listeners interested.” replied Eskildsen. When asked about the type of music usually played, Ethan, a violinist, prefers to play, “Irish Jigs or American Country.”

The Fiddlers guitarist, Adrian Wilson

The advantages one could acquire from taking this class, as Eskildsen states, “Their confidence, they’re players in a really small group where no one can hide their sound. They gain confidence through playing solos. They learn to work with each other to reach a common goal of memorizing a song.”

This class is relatively small with 16 students and the requirement to take an additional orchestra class along with practicing at least two hours per day. They play big lively songs with a variety of instruments, sometimes a guitar, other times a banjo. Ethan wishes, “To be a better violinist and improve all together.”

From beginner players to professional level musicians, Eskildsen teaches a lot of different classes. Yet, what sets fiddling apart from these other classes, as violinist, Khilea Bliss explains, “We learn how to play songs without sheet music and learn basically how to performing front of crowds.” This variety of students perfect their musical ability by memorizing their music instead of always relying on sheet music.  This technique teaches the fiddlers to rely of themselves and their ability. “You are using your ears in a different capacity to memorize music accordingly to vary aspects to the songs,” replied Eskildsen.

Through practicing daily and performing, these players continue to prove that devotion to the arts and themselves to improve genuinely makes them the superstars Eskildsen confirms them to be.