Cassandra Clare’s “Queen of Air and Darkness” U.S. tour

Kaitlyn Schafer, Features, Editorials, and Reviews Editor

By: Kaitlyn Schafer, Reviews, Editorials, and Features Editor

Cassandra Clare, author of the #1 New York Times bestselling “Mortal Instruments”, “Infernal Devices” and “Dark Artifices” series, visited Coral Gables last week for her new book titled, “Queen of Air and Darkness”.  A signed copy of Clare’s new book was given to all who attended, and was later customized by the author in the book signing line, where Clare interacted with her readers. Clare not only discussed her new novel but she also gave tidbits on her new series’ coming soon in 2019.

Cassandra Clare’s books have a huge fan-base from all around the world, with

Bookworm: Jessica Schafer holds the 15 novels in Cassandra Clare’s Shadowhunter Chronicles

all fifteen books in the Shadowhunter Chronicles translated into 35 different languages. Her series will not just end in fifteen books, however; Clare will be releasing another nine books in the next several years. The Congressional Church of Christ was so packed that there were people standing in the very back to listen to her speak.

“I actually live in Miami so it wasn’t a long drive for me to get here, but even if I lived 9 hours away, I would still make the drive,” stated Kathryn Slater, an attendee at the event. “Cassie’s books are my favorites and I could sit and listen to her talk about her characters, specifically Magnus Bane or Will Herondale, for hours.”

Clare spoke of her upcoming novels in her Shadowhunter Chronicles, like her new “Red Scrolls of Magic” trilogy, which has been co-written by the award-winning author, Wesley Chu. The first book will be released on Apr. 9, 2019 and it follows two characters from the “Mortal Instruments” series, Alec and Magnus. In short, the story follows two of Clare’s most beloved characters, Magnus Bane and Alec Lightwood, whose romantic getaway gets sidetracked as a cult called the Crimson Hand reeks havoc across the continent.

Book Talk: Cassandra Clare signs a copy of “Queen of Air and Darkness” while being interviewed by Manatee junior, Kaitlyn Schafer.

After the first book in the “Red Scrolls of Magic” trilogy, Clare’s next series, “The Last Hours” will have a book released on Nov. 19, 2019, with the title “Chain of Gold”. After this highly-anticipated series, Clare’s final Shadowhunter trilogy, titled “The Wicked Powers” will be released in 2022.

“Yes, so, ‘The Last Hours’ is the sequel series to ‘The Infernal Devices'”, stated Clare when asked about the plot of her new trilogy. “It deals with the children of Will and Tessa, Cecily and Gabriel, Gideon and Sophie, Charlotte and Henry, they all have kids and those kids are all friends and this is the story of what happens with them.”

Clare stated that her first plan was to release “Chain of Gold” on Dec. 4, 2018, but developed writer’s block, so “Queen of Air and Darkness” was published in its place. The story of Will, Tessa and Jem in the “Infernal Devices” trilogy hasn’t been written about since 2013, when “Clockwork Princess” was released, so fans may have to start re-reading to prepare. Clare expressed her excitement for this series in depth at her event.

“It has actually been an interesting challenge because most of my stories, we know people who don’t have the happiest home lives; their parents are dead, murdered by demons…their siblings are evil, you know. But yes, it has been a joy to write and I can’t wait for readers to experience this new story,” stated Clare when asked how she felt about “The Last Hours”.

Cassandra Clare’s “Queen of Air and Darkness” is in bookstores now and all first editions include jacket art and illustrations on several pages on the inside. Readers can follow her Twitter for updates on Clare’s future books, like the “Last Hours”, “Red Scrolls of Magic” and even her final series “The Wicked Powers”.  The summary for “Queen of Air and Darkness” is here, for those who are interested.

About the Writer
Kaitlyn Schafer, Reviews editor

Kaitlyn Schafer is a junior at Manatee High. She is currently the reviews editor for the MACOHI Newspaper and a midfielder for the MHS Varsity soccer team....