Club feature: MHS Kindness Club

By: Bella Love, Staff Editor

The Manatee High School Kindness Club is the perfect place for anyone who wants to spread positivity throughout the campus. Anyone is welcome, as long as they want to help make Manatee High a better school environment for all of its students. Mrs. Walter, a math teacher who’s classroom is in building three right next to Mrs. Nance’s class, runs the MHS Kindness Club.

Kindness Club focuses on promoting kindness in all the students of Manatee High. By showing kindness to one person on campus, this can create a ripple effect, where that person then shows kindness to another person.

“My goal is for Kindness Club to really encourage people to be kind because high school can be brutal and a lot of the time high school students don’t feel comfortable showing kindness to other students, even their friends,” says Mrs. Walter.

Spreading Kindness on Campus: An example from Kindness week last year, when students decorated the concrete in the courtyard with kind messages. Photo Credit: School District of Manatee County.

The Kindness Club’s most significant project is Kindness Week, which takes place from Feb. 11-17. Kindness week is dedicated to random acts of kindness and focusing on spreading kindness around Manatee. The club picks a theme for each day and does kind deeds like giving out pins or randomly delivering balloons to people. The random acts of kindness week is nationally recognized.

High school can be a challenging and scary time for some and a club like this can  help people make friends and learn how to be nice to other students. According to a study by the National Bullying Prevention Center from 2016, one in five high school students reports being bullied. Bullying is a major problem in high school and a club like the MHS Kindness Club can help stop this problem at its root by showing students how to be kind to one another.

Not only is helping other people beneficial to them, but it is also beneficial to the people showing kindness. Even the smallest act of kindness, like giving someone a compliment or inviting a new person to sit at lunch, can completely change both people’s day. Seeing the smile on someone’s face after doing a kind deed for them is an amazing experience. In doing these smaller acts of kindness, it may inspire students to do larger acts of kindness, like helping out at Habitat For Humanity or volunteering at a food bank.

“I think helping others actually benefits you more than them because you feel better seeing other people happy,” says Hannah Lofthouse, a student who recently went on a mission trip to Cuba with her church.

Kindness Chat: Students discussing about how to be kinder around campus. “Being kind makes the world go round,” says senior Kevin Boehm (@kevinboehm_), pictured here. Photo Credit: Kiara Fulk.

Kindness club meetings will start the Wednesday after winter break in Mrs. Walter’s room after school. The club will have meetings every Wednesday until Kindness Week in February. Mrs. Walter has a remind code for anyone interested in joining who wants to be notified of new information. To get the information, text @7a9kbf4 to the number 810-10.