Not dropping the ball on New Year’s resolutions

Noah Quillan, Editor-In-Chief

Now that the new year has begun, many have made their New Year’s goals and are either still pursuing them, or have already given up. It is estimated that about half of Americans set resolutions, however, the amount of people that are consistent with them is rather shocking.

Tipsy Writer stated that 22% of resolutions fail after just one week, 40% after a month, 50% after three months and 60% after six months. Even though those numbers may come as a shock, it does not mean that resolutions are not achievable. Students in particular climb towards the top of the list of people who make resolutions. From getting better grades, to exercising more, students can have lots of potential goals they want to achieve throughout the new year.

“I want to be more organized and coordinated,” says Nancy Solis. “Having the goal in my mind helps me remember that it’s there and helps me think about my choices,” continued the sophomore.

Fresh and Nutritious– The best way to start a productive day is by having a great breakfast. “Breakfast kick-starts your metabolism, helping you burn calories throughout the day. It also gives you the energy you need to get things done and helps you focus at work or at school,” reported WebMD. Photo credit: Noah Quillan

Having consistency is vital if someone wants their goals to be successful. If someone makes a resolution to exercise at least 30 minutes a day, five days a week, those 30 minutes need to be implemented into that individual’s daily routine as something that is required to do. If exercising is the goal, it is likely that the person who created the goal is not too fond of exercising. Making it mandatory is a way for someone to force themselves to accomplish it. Once it is achieved, it is good to feel proud. Resolutions like exercising or perhaps reading a book every two weeks will come much easier over time if it is something that is consistently done from the start.

Hailie Rodriguez stated that setting goals at the beginning of the year gives people a fresh start. She said that the main focus should simply be, “trying.”

Students carry a lot on their shoulders to begin with, so balancing everyday school life as well as setting resolutions can be a challenge. Having a slow but steady pace is efficient when implementing something new into one’s life. With students in particular, stress is something that can deter them away from meeting their resolutions but by pacing themselves and slowly working something into their life, it will be much more manageable.

“I know I need to fix myself before I make more goals for myself,” explained Lexi Rogers.

The high school age range is the time when lots of different things become more apparent and challenging. Relationships, grades, friendships and other personal issues are just a few of the things that teenagers deal with, so taking care of personal issues first will help make new change much easier.

For some, setting resolutions is a part of their yearly routine, while for others, maybe not so much. Whether someone makes New Year’s resolutions or not, setting personal goals at any point during the year is very healthy. Remembering to stay consistent, making it mandatory and setting a steady pace assures success in any goal that is set. Setting out to accomplish new things and having self improvement is something that everyone should strive for in their life.