Successful transition

Successful transition

Sign Sign Sign! The guidance department encourages seniors to apply for as many scholarships that they're eligible for, by providing multiple scholarships that varies for students. 
Photo Credit: Tori Watson

Sign Sign Sign! The guidance department encourages seniors to apply for as many scholarships that they're eligible for, by providing multiple scholarships that varies for students. Photo Credit: Tori Watson

Tori Watson, Staff Reporter

By: Tori Watson, Staff Reporter

As the year of 2019 comes to May, seniors are buckling down on life-changing decisions. One decision being deciding on the college that they are going to attend and another being scholarship applications. Many seniors postpone applying for colleges as well as scholarships until it is too late for them to go to the college of their choice, which means settling down at a local college that they might not have really wanted to attend. It is essential that seniors take these last few months of high school extremely serious, because if not, they can miss out on many great prospects.

Seniors are provided with multiple opportunities that will enhance their chance at making their college transition smoother: financial aid workshops, pre-printed scholarship applications, college visits and scholarship deadline announcements.

Accepted: As college acceptances arrive, seniors place banners outside the College and Care Center. Seniors dedication paid off. Mrs. Norris stated, “We want seniors to show their success.”

“We really encourage seniors to apply for as many scholarships as they have the time and energy for,” Mrs. Norris stated.

Some requirements are official transcripts, unofficial transcripts, college essays and application fees. Seniors also have to pay off all of their high school debt to graduate.

Ramont’e Rome, a Manatee High graduate, reflected on his senior year in high school when he stated, “Waiting last minute gives you the urge to give up when you can’t find or get a hold of something.”

The College Board website is a helpful resource that suggests seniors make a college plan. The plan consists of learning when most students choose a major, seeing another student’s internship story, getting the facts about paying for college and learning about the different types of financial aid.

Current senior, Tavionne Watson, suggested for next year’s seniors to, “Stay on top of everything. Get scholarships done early, applications, pay debts, and maintain your grades. I would also say, have the drive to come to school each day and finish your senior year strong.  You’ve already accomplished three years, don’t waste the last one.”

Apply Now: Seniors you are eligible for multiple scholarships, just apply. Mrs. Norris has printed the information, so stop in. “We encourage seniors to apply for as many scholarships as they have time for.”

About the Writer
Tori Watson, Staff Reporter

Tori Watson is a sophomore at Manatee High School, she enjoys reading and participates in the National Honors Society. She loves to scrapbook in her spare...