A Sharp studying technique

A Sharp studying technique

Senior Rebecca Gallegos enjoys listening to non-lyrical music. Music has enabled Gallegos to achieve a high GPA.

Senior Rebecca Gallegos enjoys listening to non-lyrical music. Music has enabled Gallegos to achieve a high GPA. "When I study I like to listen to music that doesn't have lyrics, cause if it does I'll sing along, and if I sing along I'm not really studying."

Ethan Clark, Staff Reporter

Many students enjoy listening to music to distract themselves from the monotony. Some claim that it helps information stay memorized during tests and that they get higher grades from studying to their favorite tunes. Other pupils vehemently disagree saying that the sound drowns out the knowledge they are committing to memory. However, listening to music has positive effects on their academic career and that of all students.

One student who finds enjoyment in studying using musical techniques is freshman Kyle Young, who stated, “I like listening to music while studying, it helps me get through studying since it’s pretty boring.”

Many students like Young find studying quite dull, which comes to no surprise as many students can be found with earbuds in around school. Another bonus is that listening to music helps students perform better as it provides a bit of entertainment while forcing themselves through studying. Theoretically, if a student does not enjoy or tolerate it, they will not put enough time or effort into really learning the material.

Another student, Austin Certain, disagrees. “I can’t enjoy it [music] because I’m constantly distracted while studying.”

This brings up a good point; as much as studying with music can have benefits, if a student is not able to focus on analyzing the words on the page with lyrics and noises distracting them, the time spent will not have much of an effect on their grades. However, students who can to focus while listening to music often do better on quizzes and tests as they will spend more time studying with music on and keeping them engaged.

For some students that find lyrical songs distracting, there are other options that may seem appealing. Movie scores are one example, choose a favorite movie and search up its soundtrack online.  Most of the time, anyone can find a playlist on Youtube or Spotify. Another popular example would be classical music, known for its calming or occasionally booming sounds. Classical tracks are rather famous for their ability to help with studying by raising dopamine levels while listening and will help even the most ardent discounter of music.

Music can not change a grade all by itself but it can definitely help with the academic process. Not every type of music is for everyone. If anyone has not found any good studying chords keep looking, there is at least one song that can get them “A” major good grade.