Mr. Perez’s impact on Manatee High

Mr. Perez’s impact on Manatee High

Bella Love, Staff Editor

By: Bella Love, Staff Editor

Classroom to Games: Mr. Perez is pictured here with senate member Miya Serna at one of the Manatee High tailgates. The tailgates have games, snow cones, and other fun activities for students. Photo Credit: Bella Love.

Although Mr. Perez has left, he will forever be remembered for his contributions to Manatee High. Everyone has a favorite teacher, someone who makes learning enjoyable and really understands their students. For many students, he was that teacher for them.

“Mr. Perez is a huge inspiration to me. If we ever needed him for anything, he made time for us no matter what. Even though he’s gone now, I feel like the lessons and morals he taught to all of us are going to stick with us for the rest of our lives,” says junior Andrew Carrillo, who was in Senate for multiple years under Mr. Perez.

While most recognized Perez’s skill as a teacher and the ability to connect to his students, few realized how much he put into making sure Manatee High is the best it could possibly be. Mr. Perez was both a Spanish teacher and the adviser for the student council.

“Mr. Perez was a great teacher and role model. He was constantly reminding us to be kind, safe, and smart, but to still have fun in his class too. Spanish was one of my favorite classes because of his enthusiasm for teaching,” said Sophia Belsito, sophomore class board president and one of Mr. Perez’s Spanish students.

His dedication to senate and making sure every Manatee High event ran smoothly was often overlooked. He was at school at 6 a.m. to paint the field along with senate for every home game, setting up the tailgates and then cheering in the stands at night. During Homecoming week, Mr. Perez organized every committee involved in planning, got everything in order so the students could have an amazing dance and then spent his weekend cleaning up the dance with senate.

“Mr. Perez was one of the first adults other than my parents to have a strong impact on me,” said executive board president Ben Barnes. “He pushed me to be the best person I could possibly be. He’s been my go to guy for the past four years, and he’s never resented me for any of the mistakes I’ve made.”

If there is anyone who truly exemplifies the morals of Manatee High School, it would be Mr. Perez. He is accepting, kind and pushes his students for the greatness he knows they can achieve. He always told his students, “Be the rainbow in someone else’s cloud,” which is a quote by Dr. Maya Angelou. He recognized that high school is a difficult time for pretty much everyone and that instead of dwelling on their own problems and struggles and using this as an excuse to be nasty to others, turn that around and be the good in someone’s bad day. If someone is having a difficult day, one person being kind to them could completely change that and that is a value that Mr. Perez taught to his students.