Math counts

Math counts

Kaitlyn Schafer, Reviews, Features. and Editorials editor

The Mu Alpha Theta National High School Honor Society was founded in 1957 at the University of Oklahoma by Dr. Richard V. Andree and his wife, Josephine Andree for high school and two-year college students. The main goals of this club are to inspire interests in mathematics, develop knowledge on the subject and promote the enjoyment of mathematics. The words Mu, Alpha and Theta are Greek for the phonemes m, a and th. Mu Alpha Theta at Manatee High School requires members to have already taken Algebra I, Geometry and must currently be taking Algebra II.

Mu Alpha Theta is for students who enjoy math and would like to put that interest to use. Each semester, members need to tutor other Manatee students after school for six days in order to keep their membership. The tutoring takes place in Dr. Johnston’s classroom, room 323.

Math Tees: This club has encouraged students to put their talents and love for math to use by teaching others. The Mu Alpha Theta members smile for their club picture. “My favorite part about this club is Moody Math Night because we get to teach the Moody Elementary students about math in a fun way,” stated Natalie Blair.

“My favorite part of being Mu Alpha Theta president is interacting with all of the members and getting to know them more. I also like tutoring because it’s nice to know you are helping someone. I would say that it looks great on a resumé, and you can make lots of friends. It’s a lot of fun and you can earn volunteer hours too!” stated Mu Alpha Theta president Tara Garner.

Moody Math Night is the primary event for Mu Alpha Theta. Members must get into groups of two to four people and develop an experiment or two that will entertain the Moody Elementary students during parent-teacher conferences. The groups create a vibrant and colorful poster board that will host the various experiments. The projects must each have a different theme, such as superheros, Disney, spring, winter, etc. that will intrigue the children. This school year, Moody Math Night was originally going to be in Dec. 2018 with the theme “Winter Wonderland”, however, it was postponed for March 21, 2019.

“I’ve always enjoyed math and Mu Alpha Theta allows me to use that skill to help others who may struggle with it,” stated Mu Alpha Theta member Kalie Welling. “My only wish for this club is that I would like to enter into math competitions with other schools. We may lose, but I think it may be extremely fun.”

According to the Mu Alpha Theta official website, Mu Alpha Theta is “an organization dedicated to promoting scholarship in mathematics and establishing math as an integral part of high school and junior college education.”

For students who enjoy and excel in mathematics, join Mu Alpha Theta to put that talent in use and help others understand it.