Principal David Underhill climbing higher to inspire

Jocelyn Leal, Editor-in-Chief

On Friday, Feb. 22, Manatee High School’s Principal David Underhill descended down the Hyatt in Sarasota in a mountain climbing fashion- an activity known as rappelling- to support an organization called Campus Life. Along with 74 other people, including Sarasota High School’s Principal David Jones, the Mayor of Sarasota, two police officers and newspaper sports columnist, Underhill is advocating for what a great organization this is.

“Campus Life has been a program that has helped many students in our schools. Their dedication to just being an adult in the schools who is willing to listen and not judge has given students an outlet that is so much needed in our young people’s lives,” said Underhill.

Campus Life is an organization sponsored by Youth for Christ and has been active throughout the United States for over 65 years. It aims to provide a safe, fun environment for students that is free of judgement. It is funded by donations from partners in the community. The rappelling is one such event that raises money, having 70 of the 75 people raise $1,000 in order to participate.

On Top of the World- Manatee High School Principal David Underhill gets ready to descend the Sarasota Hyatt. Underhill decided to take part in this even to spread awareness about the Campus Life organization. “Campus Life is committed to helping students as they wrestle with issues they face, both big and small, while pursuing a balanced life: mentally, physically, spiritually, and socially,” stated the Campus Life website.

“It’s a place where students are challenged to make good decisions and lead in positive ways in their school,” stated the Campus Life website.

Youth for Christ representative Jenan Wood also rappelled with Underhill but has done so once before. She is very involved in volunteering with the Campus Life chapter at Manatee High School.

When asked about her favorite part of the event, Wood said, “My favorite thing is having the whole community coming together to aid and support the potential of youth.”

By participating in this event, Underhill hopes to inspire his students to face obstacles head on and be the best version of themselves they can be.

“I also hope that my students understand that by taking part in this activity it makes me step outside of my comfort zone, and that they will sometimes need to step up to a challenge that is unfamiliar to them and uncomfortable but they can, and if they truly believe in what the challenge is, overcome their reservations and through positive thinking and hard work to be successful,” finished Underhill.

If students are looking for more ways to get involved with Youth for Christ and Campus Life, they hold a Breakfast Club every Friday morning at 7 A.M in the Cane’s Café in building seven. For more information about the organization, students can go to the Campus Life website.