Mrs. Rivers awarded with the Congressional Teacher Award

Kaitlyn Schafer, Reviews editor

Manatee High’s English IV and AP Literature teacher, Mrs. Rivers has won the Congressional Teacher Award in recognition of her outstanding abilities as a public school teacher in Florida’s 16th Congressional District. Mrs. Rivers was nominated because of her outstanding teaching ability as a public school teacher and capacity to inspire her students.

Mrs. Rivers suspected that Mrs. Walter, a math teacher here at Manatee, nominated her for the award, however, Mrs. Walter did not; she stated in an interview that if she had known about the award, she definitely would have nominated her.

“She is a life-changing teacher, she inspires her students, and she pushes them towards greatness,” stated Mrs. Walter.

Mrs. Rivers wins the Congressional Teacher Award for Florida’s 16th Congressional District. “In my life, I have never met a person and teacher like Mrs. Rivers; she truly is one of the greatest,” said Jennifer Miles, a junior.

Her accomplishments will be recognized in the Congressional Record, which is the official record of the U.S. Congress. Mrs. Rivers’ main goals in her classroom, as well as her conversational teaching style, just proves her worthiness for this special award.

“My favorite thing about teaching is the relationships that I form with my students. My dad used to always say that ‘people won’t care what you know until they know that you care’. That is my first priority in the classroom; students need to understand that my room is a safe place where they can take academic risks and that I care deeply about them as people. Everything else is secondary. Wonderfully, when building relationships is the focus in a classroom, learning happens,” stated Mrs. Rivers.

The ceremony is at 5:30 p.m. on Friday, April 5 in the Manatee County Commission Chamber, 1112 Manatee Ave W, Bradenton, FL 34205.