Undefeated! Wadels sets school record

On March 16 and 17, State Wrestling Championships took place. The wrestlers who went to the state championship were Angelo Dedona, 106 pounds, Noah Wadle, 113 pounds, Brandon Tuckett, 120 pounds, Tylenn Lukens, 160 pounds and Brandon Dursey, 220 pounds. The team has a special tradition for wrestlers going to the State Championship.

“It started 13 years ago when Coach Guglemieni got married. My wife is a hairdresser so she kind of came up with it and in that year we had two winners of state and everyone thought it was magic, Manatee magic, but no, it was hair magic. Since then it became a tradition and now the kids kind of look forward to get their hair dyed.”, said Coach Guglemieni, who is proud of his students.

All blonde: The Manatee High School Wrestling Team was very successful in the past years. The wrestlers have the tradition of dying their hair when they go to states. “Once it started it was successful so we decided to keep it”, Coach Guglemieni.

This year, the participants were not just winners. Noah Wadels set a new record for Manatee High School. Wadels was the first wrestler who was undefeated during the whole season and then won the championships. That is 57 matches and he won every single one of them.

“Noah is a product of our very successful wrestling program so it is nothing really different for him. He works very hard and is a state champion for life now,” explained Coach Guglemieni about his new record holder.

Four of the five ended up on the podium, which means that they ended up in the top six in their weight class. With this year being so successful, Coach Guglemieni is looking forward to a good new season since Wadels is just a sophomore. Coach Guglemieni is proud of his students, how hard they practiced and the great results they received.