Thespians Festival

By: Alexis Peck, News Editor

To be a thespian it requires students to prepare a performance and then go after school and perform it in the Davis theater where Ms. Catell will select a few to join the troupe and compete. Ms. Catell worked very hard to put together these events, she built these students and their pieces up and made them reach potential. “It’s a great experience and really fun. Everyone who’s interested in theater should give it a shot,” Ms. Catell said when she was first promoting the troupe the first time. Picture Credit: https://floridathespians.com/

The Florida State Thespian Festival is being held in Tampa, Florida in the Straz Center for the Performing Arts and Tampa Convention Center on March 20-23, 2019. It is a theater competition against the thespian clubs from different high schools from all across the state of Florida. It is pirate themed. Only participants that are registered, those accompanying a troupe on a festival credential or festival administration can go to the event, also adults that are going to the event must be of the age 21 or older. There are many events in which can be competed in: One Act, Main stages, Costume Construction, Costume Design, Duet Acting, Duet Musical Theatre, Ensemble Acting, Large Group Musical, Make-up Design, Monologue, Pantomime, Play writing, Publicity Direction, Scene Design, Solo Musical, Small Group Musical, Student Choreography, and Student Directed Scenes.

The schedule for festival is posted on their site, the students get to experience workshops, sit in on other performances, a college meet and greet, senior scholarship auditions, main stage productions, an improv show, and many more enjoyable events.

“I think the festival is something really special because there are few places where thousands of people can gather over their passion for something. It’s something really great to see and it’s amazing how much talent come out of such young people,” said Audrey Lipton, Manatee High School senior, when she left for the festival.

Our Manatee High School Thespians left on March 20 to compete in the event. The troupe guardian, Ms. Catell, took those who were eligible to go with her to Tampa. These students as well as Ms. Catell have worked hard to perfect a solo musical performed by Lipton, and a Costume Design by Rain Miller, junior, that they are bringing to compete with in the festival.