Everyone Tunes into Graduation

Everyone Tunes into Graduation

Katie Jones, Staff Reporter

Graduation took place on May 18th , friends and family members sat on the stands to cheer and watch the ceremony. After three speeches from fellow students and a tribute to a senior who passed away, the graduates crossed the stage, walking away with their well-earned diplomas.

Leaving marks: a copy of “Footprints” which orchestra students were tasked with marking up the music with notes. Every orchestra member had to fix their sheet. “I’m really proud of the way that my students have worked.”Mrs. Eskildson  expressed.

The chorus, orchestra and band were all at Saturday’s graduation, playing songs: “Pomp and Circumstance”,”Footprints” and “Great Gates of Kiev”. The orchestra and band played “Pomp and Circumstance” graduating class of over 400 students walked down Kinnan Field. Danica Kormansek, a trumpet player stated, “We played ‘Pomp and Circumstance’ a total of six different times.”

Once all were seated the band performed “The National Anthem”.

Then as a surprise to the audience, chorus and band  seniors joined their performing groups in “Footprints”.

All in Order: Orchestra accompanies the band at graduation. They were provided with the order of their music. “‘The Star Spangled Banner’, sang the ‘Alma Mater’, ‘Pomp and Circumstances’, ‘Footprints’ and ‘the Great Gate of Kiev’,” Kormansek listed.

Ethan Mada, a sophomore violinist said, “It really helped knowing how the actual thing [the measure order] was gonna go.” Referring to the practice with band and the music order.

After a lot of practice the band, chorus, and orchestra put on one of their best performances of the year in front of family, friends, teachers, school board members and the 2019 graduates. The music department will continue this rich tradition year after year.