Cane pride never dies

Cane pride never dies

By: Alexis Peck, News Editor

Image result for PRIDE PARADE ORLANDO PULSE

Our Own Backyard. Orlando is one of the pinnacle places for the LGBTQIA+, they have bars and residential areas specifically for the enjoyment and safety for the community. Pulse was a gay bar in Orlando, Florida. On June 12, 2016 the club was shot up by Omar Mateen 49 people were killed and 53 were injured. This is the deadliest attack on the LGBTQIA+ community ever in history. “My heart goes out to the victims and their families. Our community has sufferes a tremendous loss. We must stand together more than ever,” Ellen Page, actress, posted on Twitter after the shooting.

1 in 10 people in America are apart of the LGBTQIA+, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning, intersex, asexual and plus community. Naturally, there should be a safe place for all these individuals. Manatee provides this with the creation of the Pride Club, started by Mrs. Pepper and Dr. Pearl in the 2018-2019 school year. The Pride Club is a social group for LGBTQIA+ students. They meet weekly usually in Mrs. Pepper’s room and have movie nights. The students attend LGBTQIA+ community events, like pride nights at movie theaters. Any member of the LGBTQIA+ that are students at MHS as well as supporters can join the club and participate in activities. Individuals DO NOT have to be out to go to the club.

“We saw a need for this type of group at Manatee High School,” Dr. Pearl responded as to why they started the club.

This group provides students the chance to meet other students that are dealing with the same or similar situations. It offers a safe place for these students when not even their home may be safe to talk about issues and aspirations. There are around 1.6 million homeless children in the United States of America and about 40 percent, 640,000,  of them are a part of the LGBTQIA+ community found on CNN. 46 percent of the LGBT youths that are homeless left on their own accords because of their family’s rejection or critiques of their sexual orientation and/or their gender identity. 43 percent were kicked out of their own homes by their guardians due to the fact of the incapability to accept their child. 32 percent of homeless LGBTQIA+ youth were dealing with physical, emotional or sexual abuse at home due to ignorance about sexuality. Unfortunately, some children fit in one or more of these categories.

Many people believe that because same-sex marriage was legalized on June 26, 2015 that all of the discrimination against the LGBTQIA+ community is fixed. Though it is a milestone for the community it has not changed the societal view. Individuals that are different than their assigned gender are still not recognized in society for the most part. There are still anti-LGBT groups, the CEO of Coachella is anti-LGBT and also funded organizations that oppose same-sex marriage and campaign it, Chick-Fil-A has done the same. This goes to show that people are supporting anti-gay organizations without even being aware by supporting Chick-Fil-A and Coachella.

Safe spaces for individuals in the community are critical important to society. Thank you Dr. Pearl and Mrs. Pepper for providing us this club!