FCCLA in depth

Noah Quillan, Editor-In-Chief

By: Noah Quillan, Editor-in-Chief

FCCLA, or Family Career and Community Leaders of America, is a communitybased organization that offers an immense number of opportunities to explore different career paths; from Culinary Arts to Interior Design, there is an event for everyone. There are over 160,000 affiliated members in FCCLA, with over 5,300 chapters.

In order to become an affiliated member, members must pay their membership dues, which covers everything for the year, excluding a couple things like state, and national meetings. The fee is generally twenty dollars.

This is Lazaro, the 2018-2019 Florida FCCLA State President. Photo credits: FL FCCLA

Students go from competing at a district level, to state level, to even a national level, as long as they stay in first, second, or third place. Each year, the location is different as to where the national meeting is held. In 2018, the meeting was held in Atlanta, GA. In 2019, the location will be in Anaheim, CA. There are always meetings and events going on that are FCCLA related, but there is also time to explore the city and do touristy types of things. Nationals are typically four to five days long, and will be from June 30 through July 4 this year.

Students can join FCCLA from the start of middle school and can participate until they graduate high school. FCCLA organizes competitions a little differently than similar organizations do. There are competitive events and star events. Competitive events will only go as far as the state level, but star events can take members to a national level.

Each chapter at a school has officers. There is typically a president, a vice president, a secretary, and a treasurer. There is not a limit to how many members can be in each chapter. At Manatee High, Noah Quillan is the President, Caroline Chasteen is the Vice President, Haley Cardillo is the Treasurer, and positions for secretary and photographer are open. Voting for the two open positions will take place in one of the upcoming meetings.

Here is the 2017-2018 Manatee High FCCLA group. Photo credit: Ms.Thomas (FCCLA Adviser)

During district, state, and national conferences, there is a extremely strict dress code. Guys are expected to wear black dress pants, black dress shoes, and the FCCLA red blazer. Girls are expected to wear a black dress, or black dress pants, along with some sort of formal shoes, and the FCCLA red blazer. The FCCLA blazer was made mandatory for the first time in 2018, and will stay as part of the mandatory dress code going forward.

During the course of a meeting, members generally start by writing their name down on a sign-in sheet, followed by upcoming events and dates, maybe an icebreaker or short game, and then the members will work on whatever project or event that is coming up.

At Manatee High School, meetings are held on Tuesday’s after school in the Culinary building, room 703. To join FCCLA, students need to have taken, or enrolled in Family and Consumer Sciences course, which includes classes like culinary and home-economics. If someone is currently in one of those classes, that covers the requirement too.

FCCLA has a creed that is usually said at the beginning of each meeting; “We are the Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America. We face the future with warm courage and high hope. For we have the clear consciousness of seeking old and precious values. For we are the builder of homes, homes for America’s future, homes where living will be the expression of everything that is good and fair, homes where truth and love and security and faith will be realities, not dreams. We are the Family, Career and Community Leaders of America. We face the future with warm courage and high hope.”

About the Writer
Noah Quillan, Editor-in-chief

Noah is a junior in high school with huge ambitions and lots of positive energy, striving to be the best person he can possibly be. Having passions in...