Home sweet homecoming

Home sweet homecoming

Homecoming is one of the most fabulously stressful times of the year for Student Council and the adviser. Senate is in charge of everything from the theme to cleaning up the dance on Sunday. Student Council is continuously building and putting things together to make sure that the dance and spirit week flawlessly execute the theme of “Out of this World.”

Eye See You: . Senate cuts up and shaves out parts of pool noodles, melts them down and then glues them to cardboard pieces to create a paranormal activity look. The black hole and the moon landing are most admired. “The noodles were difficult to make, but in the end they turned out really good and we’re very proud of them,” said Angee Reyes (10).

“Every year we stick to the idea that the four corners in the gym are decorated a different way, but this year there is going to be something very big that will be in the middle of the gym. Students will have to keep an eye out for it because it is something you definitely do not want to miss,” said senior Shelby Eikel.

Spirit week is one of the most significant parts of homecoming, besides the actual dance. The dress-up days this year include outfits from the ’60s, Area 51 attire, Space Jam, meme day and most popular, class color war.

“For the area 51 day students could be aliens or they could be guards or dress like they’re in the military. I know the school would like us to try and not wear camo, but I’m sure students can find an alternative for that,” said sophomore Olivia Zeppi.

Students are highly encouraged to participate in dressing up for spirit week, along with the activities during lunch and after school. Activities vary from the annual talent show to the Powderpuff game and bonfire, plus the annual pep rally at the end of the week.

The homecoming football game is one of the main events. There is a traditional parade during halftime that admin and Student Council direct. During halftime, the audience will see four floats that each class board spent weeks working on. Along with the classes, some clubs also participate in the float competition. At halftime, the crowning of homecoming king and queen follows the announcement of the freshman, sophomore and junior prince and princesses.

Student Council and administration encourage everyone to participate and show cane pride.

“My favorite part of homecoming is Powderpuff, I think it’s an event that everyone should participate in because we get to hang-out with all of our friends while we switch roles with the girls and they become the football players and we get to be the cheerleader,” said sophomore Devin Calderon.