Welcoming advice for the start of the new school year

The morning sun shines on the Manatee High School courtyard. Photo Credit: Ethan Clark

Ethan Clark, Staff Reporter

Ethan Clark, Staff Reporter

With another year of school, comes another year of obstacles, challenges, and exasperating classes to overcome. For some, this year will be a return to familiarity, to others a daunting, anxiety filled test. However, newcomers and returners alike, could always use some tips for going into the new school year.

First off, never procrastinate. Despite how often this is stated by teachers, still a lot of people put off assignments until the day before the due date. A lot of teachers like to throw in work on the fly, and if a student has been putting off studying for that test and the teacher adds a project due on test day, they have now got to juggle both, unable to fully dedicate themselves to one good project grade at a time. Just do the assignment when it is first available, the grades will reflect the effort.

As Oxford Learning states, “Students who procrastinate until the last minute tend to receive lower grades than their peers. This can create a cycle of bad grades and low self-confidence that can be difficult for students to overcome. At a time when marks start to impact the post-secondary opportunities for students, this can lead to a lot of extra stress and frustration.” 

The library decorates its outer hall. Photo Credit- Ethan Clark

Adjust sleeping schedules before coming back. Every year, tons of students get caught off guard for how badly waking up earlier can effect them. That extra few hours may be easier for the last days before school, but when kids wake up on the first day, the tiredness kicks in. Kick that habit and start going to bed early before school starts, and maybe then students will stop conking out in class.

As stated by WebMD, “Short naps give you a little bit of restoration, but they don’t let you get through all of the sleep cycles.”

A difficult tip for many high ranking students is realizing that bad grades are better than zeros. No matter how embarrassing it is to hand in that incomplete, or completely wrong assignment, it will be better than dropping that homework to a zero, so turn it in, it will help in the long run. In fact, Oregon schools have started to counteract this. Swallow that pride and turn it in.

The Oregonian says, “Turning assignments in late, skipping homework and talking during class won’t hurt, as long as the student can demonstrate the key skills and knowledge covered in the course.”

Finally, develop better study habits. At the risk of sounding like a teacher, studying is the path to success, at least in high school. With tests and quizzes getting more complex, it is said to be a good idea to build up good studying habits so that students do not have to push themselves last minute. In college, studying is essential for students to pass, so this habit will not just drop off and instead will be a habit that lasts through career preparation.

“We don’t stop going to school when we graduate,” says the famous comedian Carol Burnett.

About the Writer
Ethan Clark, Staff Reporter

Ethan Clark is a senior reporter at Manatee High School, who loves history, writing, and video games. He doesn't go outside much, but you can be sure that...