School district sends over 10,000 pounds of supplies to Bahamas

Parts of the Bahamas have remained uninhabitable after hurricane Dorian unleashed its wrath for days on the Abaco and Great Bahama Islands. Schools all over the Manatee County School District put in a combined effort to collect supplies for those affected. The donation project was headed by Lee Middle School FBLA adviser Richard Daenell. Daenell and his students have worked on relief efforts in years past but have put their focus on the Bahamas this year.

Aiming Towards Greatness: Lee MS FBLA student’s aiding to fill up a 23-foot trailer to send to the Bahama’s. This was their second of potentially three deliveries. “Without you, we couldn’t do what we do,” said Daenell.

“We couldn’t have done it without the help of Palmetto Elementary, Manatee High School, Bayshore High FBLA, Southeast High FBLA, Home Depot on Cortez, Manatee Apparel Graphics and several other local community members,” said Daenell.

Starting from Scratch: Many in the Bahamas have to start from ground zero. These were just a fraction of the supplies collected that were sent to the island. “It’s great to see people not being selfish and actually thinking about other people,” said Lexi Rodgers (11).

The donations are brought to the Bahamas by Yellowfin Boats and Haulin’ Grass Fishing Team. Both fishing charter companies donated their time and resources to bring the supplies over to the neighborhoods affected.

Mrs. Babroski and Mr. Reiber collected an abundance of supplies that went towards the delivery to Lee Middle School, with Pride Club and other students chipping in. Anything from clothes to diapers and toothbrushes were collected, as many families in the Bahamas have to start from scratch.

“Students were really responsive when they saw the necessities people needed,” explained Mrs. Babroski.

Mrs. Babroski also said that her students worked on a relief effort just prior to this one and is very proud of everyone who brought donations in.

Disasters can act as an oxymoron, as they can devastate communities while also bringing them together more than ever before. There will undoubtedly be natural disasters in the future and it takes people like Daenell and those who contributed to make a difference and help out.