FAFSA applications now open

Photo Credit: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/

Three Easy Steps: Creating an account, submitting the form, and reviewing the application are the three easy steps in submitting a FAFSA. According to Nerd Wallet, there were 2.6 billion unclaimed dollars from last year's financial aid money available. "I am relying on it to go to college," said senior Reanna Washington.

As of Oct. 1, FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) opened for high school seniors. FAFSA is a financial aid resource that anyone is eligible for. A student is able to claim up to $6195, though the amount of money varies from person to person.

“Even if you don’t need the money, you should still fill it out,” said Mrs. Linda Norris, the college and career center adviser.

It is recommended to have information like social security numbers, checking account and saving account balances, as well as other financial and personal information on-hand so the application process goes smoothly.

The deadline to apply for FAFSA is Dec. 15 but getting it done sooner rather than later is the smart way to go. This is just one of the many financial aid options to help the cost of college. See Mrs. Norris and look through the Manatee High School’s college section for more resources.