Technology’s burdens and benefits

Technology’s burdens and benefits

Concentrate the Mind: Sophomore Mandy Sisto listens to the recording to the book

Concentrate the Mind: Sophomore Mandy Sisto listens to the recording to the book "To Kill a Mockingbird." She usually listens to some soothing music to help her concentrate on her work. "Admittedly, I use my phone a lot in class. I browse social media, play games and listen to music," stated Sisto.

Sandra Martinez, Staff Reporter

Technology has become an excellent resource for students’ lives. An electronic device can help a student by explaining a lesson they may have not understood or checking up on their friends by using any type of social media. However, students who have the ability to use their phones in school can also have a negative effect as it can tempt them to cheat on their tests or to get easily distracted.

Phone jail In Mrs. Armer’s class, she has a place for students phones as they walk in. Students have grown accustomed to this procedure. “Yes, they do help because you are actually paying attention on what they are teaching and you’re not getting distracted by your phone,” stated sophomore Marisol Valle.

This causes individual teachers to be more strict with the use of cellphones in classrooms. Some teachers may choose not to allow a student to be on their phone during the whole class period, and if one is seen with a phone out, it can be taken down to discipline.

Phones or smartwatches can cause cheating due to students easily being able to take a picture of the test or by texting their classmates for an answer that they need. One method that teachers have come up with that helps stop students from cheating is that they will make up different versions of the test, so it would be uncommon for two students to have the same question for number five.

Teachers who believe that phones are a distraction to students have come up with ways for students to not use them while they teach. A common technique used by teachers is to have a phone holder, usually far from their desk, so they would be out of reach for those who may try to get a hold of them. Another simple strategy is by just telling students to put their phones away.

“I generally let the students decide if they are going to be off their phone or not. I do have times where we use the phones in class and times where we do not. I generally try to keep things busy enough, so that they don’t have the need to use the phones,” stated Mr. Aaron Bokelmann.

On the other hand, the use of phones can be a positive thing. They can help both students and teachers on what they are working on or teaching. If a student does not know a word or need to search up a topic, they can easily access their phone.

“I find in my AP classes and sometimes in my honor classes that we get more use out of them because they are like mini computers. Everything that we need, we can use them if we use them in the right way. For example, in my AP class we were working on a group project, and we used our phones to access this site to project our answers,” stated Mrs. Pauline Barnes.