Mental health awareness

Mental health awareness

December 17, 2019

As of this year, the state of Florida requires a mental health course to be taught to all students in sixth grade or above for at least five hours each school year.  The first session, on Nov. 4, answered the question, “what is mental health?” This section explained the basics and that mental heath is not a negative thing. Following Nov. 4 and Nov. 18, there will be sessions during homeroom once a month in between first and second period.  The course is taught in homeroom classes to separate the grade levels; later on, the sessions will become more personalized for each grade level.

Teacher perspective

Teachers have been scheduled during the school day to teach students about mental health. As needed as this might be for students, some teachers do not think that it is the best idea.

Case and Point: Mr. Rose shares teachers opinions about the Mental Health Program. During Rose’s homeroom, students paid attention and interacted with the program at the bare minimum. “Some students took this seriously to pay attention, but I don’t think they took it seriously enough to get involved with the program,” said Mr. Rose.

Teachers understand the importance of this initiative, but the way that the program executed is frustrating to most of the teachers.

“I think that the information that was in there is wonderful information that should be shared with the students; with that being said I think that the delivery of it is a little bland. I think the whole point of the mental health awareness is allowing kids to open up and discuss their problems, and I think that’s something more personal rather than having an overall program that explains all this stuff,” said Mr. Rose.

Teachers thought that some students take it seriously, and some do not, saying that students will only take away as much as they want to from this program. This mental health awareness is mandated by the state, but it is up to the students if they want to accept the information that they are given.

The Florida School Board of Education now requires public schools to have a minimum of five hours of mental education per year, starting from sixth grade. Florida is now the third state to go through with this bill.

“The website was okay, definitely repetitive when we were supposed to go from the first story to the next story. If we have to do four of those it’s going to be very repetitive. They also didn’t really outline what we needed to get through very well; they’re like ‘here go through this stuff during the time that your given’ and even with starting right away, I didn’t get through all of the materials,” said Mr. Siedel.

Mr. Mills also shared similar concerns based on how he felt about the program and why the state has now made it mandatory to add to the students’ schedule.

“This puzzles me, all of the things that we’re doing, character ed, mental health, stress management, all those things are in the H.O.P.E curriculum, which is a required course for graduation. I’m sure that the state mandating this is all data-driven, I just don’t know what data indicates that this is not being done in H.O.P.E. class,” said Mr. Mills.