“To all the boys I’ve loved before” is the heart-warming rom-com 2018 needed

By: Bella Love, Blurbs Editor

2018 has truly been the year of the romantic comedy. From “Love, Simon” to “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before,” this year has produced some amazing feel-good movies. “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” was originally the first book in a series by Jenny Han. It is insanely cheesy and adorable and ever since its Netflix release, every teen in America has been wishing for their own Peter Kavinsky.

This movie follows a young girl named Lara Jean who writes letters whenever she has a crush on someone but never mails the letters. The letters end up being sent to all the boys she has had feelings for, and she has to deal with the consequences of that event. She ends up getting into a fake relationship with one of the recipients of the letters, named Peter Kavinsky to hide the fact she really has a crush on her sister’s ex-boyfriend.

Movies Like To All the Boys I've Loved Before

Lara Jean and Peter, played by Lana Condor and Noah Centineo. Photo Credit: Everett Collection.

“To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” may not be the most deep or meaningful movie, but it is really not meant to be. It is a fun movie about teenagers falling in love, and sometimes it is nice to just stop thinking and watch a sweet movie with a charming love interest and a Hollywood ending.

Part of the reason so many people loved this movie is that the main character is very relatable to the teen audience. Lara Jean is a quiet and shy girl who loves reading about great love stories, but her own love life is pretty much nonexistent.

Lara Jean faints and is shown on the ground with her hair perfectly swept to the side. Photo Credit: Netflix.

There are some slight issues with this movie, but again, this is not some award-winning masterpiece, it is a cute romantic comedy. There are some continuity errors, but no glaring issues that distract too much from the movie. There is a scene in the movie where Lara Jean falls down and in one shot it shows her hair all over the place, but when it switches to a close-up, her hair is neatly combed to the side. Again, nothing too drastic, but just off enough to be a little annoying.

That being said, this movie has surprisingly amazing cinematography for a Netflix rom-com. The visuals perfectly capture the warm-and-fuzzy vibes of a charming teenage romance that the movie is trying to give off. The way the scenes are shot mirrors the emotions of the characters. In one particular scene, where Lara Jean and Peter are having an argument, and they are separated by a pole. They are not only separated by a physical barrier but also separated emotionally because they are fighting.

This movie is great for a lazy afternoon, or just for killing an hour and a half. It is not eye-opening or life-changing, but that is not a bad thing. Not everything has to be meaningful, some things can just be endearing and this movie is one of those things. “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” is currently available to stream on Netflix.