Sunshine state puts teachers in the shade

Ryan Haczynski

Tristan Christensen, Staff Reporter

Ryan Haczynski
Year of the teacher- Ryan Haczynski proudly advocates for better funding for the education system. He stood for fellow students and teachers all across the state of Florida in hopes of bringing awareness to them. “I thought it was a great moment, of solidarity and comradely but government officials claim this is ‘the year of the teacher ‘ yet they were no were to be found when thousands of teachers showed up to Tallahassee,” stated Haczynski, a teacher at Strawberry Crest High School who attended the rally.
Fund our future- Brooke West Carr marches alongside many motivated, strong-willed peers. She hoped that her participation made a difference and motivates the legislature to take action.It was well organized by the EA,  it was nice to be supportive and to make a collective voice heard, but it was disappointing to feel as though so many people have to shout into the wind, worrying that they wont be heard. We might not be listened to, but we were heard, ” said teacher, Brooke West Carr.

Thousands of outraged teachers gathered together on Jan. 13 in Tallahassee to rally against low public school funding. The average salary for a new Florida teacher was about $37,636 as of the 2017-2018 school year, varying a little depending on the level of education and experience.

During the rally, the teachers wore red to represent “Red for Ed.” They flooded the streets holding signs declaring their standpoint.

The schedule for the rally started early around 9 a.m. when the buses went around and picked up the advocates. At 1 p.m., the “Take On Tallahassee” rally began at Florida’s Old Capitol.

There  were about sixteen speakers at the rally, all of which were either college professors, teachers or apart of the education system. Some of the speakers came from New York, Chicago and all around the state of Florida.

“The government is trying to raise begging teachers pay but the problem with that is that it does not take into account those of us who have been teaching for years. Right now, with what they’re projecting for newly hired teachers is that they will make more than a teacher who has been teaching for many years because they are not moving those teacher’s salaries up,” stated Mr. Peters, the shop teacher.

Many teachers have to work second jobs to make enough money to support themselves, and in some cases, support their families. Considering this, some teachers even put their own money into their classrooms like necessary supplies and decorations.

“The day was a great moment and I think there was a sense of urgency but largely now that we are a couple of weeks after the event, and the legislature seems to be doing business as usual, showing it did not have a lasting effect on them. If anything else, I think more parents and students are paying attention now, and I think the community gained awareness which is what we needed, but it seems like its the same old same old Tallahassee,” said Ryan Haczynski, a teacher at Strawberry Crest High School who attended the rally.