Maintaining mental health in quarantine

Maintaining mental health in quarantine

As we all know, quarantine can be a giant strain on everyone’s mental health but there are ways to make the best of it. Some key factors that will help this quarantine go a little bit smoother are practicing physical and mental exercises. 

It is known that physical activity increases self-esteem, better sleep, and decreases stress, therefore, investing in regular physical activity connects the mind, body and soul. Now that students are taking on e-Learning, they may have a tendency to feel they are chained to the desk and the feeling of laziness and loneliness increases. A way to decrease these feelings is by taking short little breaks throughout the day to walk around, do yoga, look up workout videos on YouTube, along with many other ideas.

Many students are having a hard time adjusting to being in quarantine with only their family to talk to, compared to being able to see their friends every day; this can often lead these students to become sad and lonely. Doing exercise every day will lead to the production of endorphins which emit boosts of happiness, decreasing the negative feelings while staying physically in shape.

On Schoology, students can find the clinic board in the “Groups” section. In this folder, Ms. Smith posts frequent updates and advice on subjects such as the advancement of mental and physical health. Some examples of what she posts are the positive effects of Tai Chi and yoga, cures for head and stomach aches, as well as information on COVID-19 and much more.

Picking up a hobby is always fun. With the stress of school as well as the irritation of being stuck at home, a distraction or two will be necessary. Adding a hobby into daily life can increase productivity in other activities, regain a sense of control in life, reduce stress, and even combat loneliness. Some hobbies to pick up are journaling, painting, drawing, cooking, reading, yoga, knitting, dancing, running and more.

When a person takes care of themselves internally, they are better prepared to take care of themselves externally as well. So exercising the mind is just as important as exercising in the physical sense. Being cooped up in the house all day can make a person stir-crazy and unproductive, making it easier to forget to practice self-care. Self-care is not just bath bombs and face masks but can also be meditation, relaxing the mind and allowing breaks during the long day of school work. Practicing meditation can be difficult at first, considering people are always thinking, but once the mind is quiet the world around becomes quiet as well.