“American Horror Story: Apocalypse” will have audiences dying for more

By: Kaitlyn Schafer, Reviews Editor

The popular FX original television series, “American Horror Story,” written by Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk, has recently released their eighth season. “American Horror Story” is known to completely change their plot and characters after each season, last year being named “AHS: Cult” and this year being “AHS: Apocalypse.” Because the characters throughout the different seasons never get to meet, it was a thrill for audiences to find out that both the first season, “Murder House,” and the third season, “Coven,” will at some point cross over in “Apocalypse.” Murphy and Falchuk, once again, managed to be able to combine horror and complete and total oddity to their popular anthology series. The show’s returning actors include: Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters, Leslie Grossman, Billy Eichner, Cathy Bates and more.

Episode one of “AHS: Apocalypse” is titled “The End” and it was an intriguing and fantastic start to the new season. Set in the future, nuclear missiles destroy the

Cody Fern as Michael Langdon, also known as the Antichrist in AHS: Apocalypse

world and in turn, make it practically uninhabitable. However, thanks to Coco St. Pierre Vanderbilt’s family’s private plane, she manages to escape Los Angeles unharmed with her hairdresser Mr. Gallant, Peters, her assistant Mallory, Lourd, and Mr. Gallant’s grandmother, played by Joan Collins. Meanwhile, young adults are saved from the apocalypse based on their genetic makeup by a group of people who call themselves the “Cooperative.” Two of them, Timothy and Emily, are sent to an underground base headed by Mrs. Venable, played by Paulson. There, they are reunited with other survivors, including Coco and her group. Life at the underground base includes strict rules and regulations and punishments. Eighteen months later, as the situation is getting worse and worse at the base, a man from the Cooperative, Michael Langdon, arrives and announces that he will judge who deserve to be truly saved.

Evan Peters as Mr. Gallant in AHS: Apocalypse Photo credit: Pop Sugar

Although this episode may be disagreeable to some audiences, the concept and the complete weirdness of the show can not help but make many people interested. For instance, at the episode’s end, viewers get to meet Michael Langdon for the first time since “Murder House.” Now he is a grown man and the Antichrist as well, due to the fact that Michael is the child of a ghost and a human, as stated in season one. It is this factor of the show that provides a “Book of Revelations” feel that just may be a huge plot point in the season.

The costumes in this season are completely unique compared to the show’s previous seasons. Although it takes place in the future, the underground base that the characters are staying in makes it seem like they are living in the 1800s. All of the clothing is mostly purple due to specific reasons. One notable costume design is Mr. Gallant’s, played by Evan Peters, whose ruffled suit and circular glasses add up perfectly to his loud and lively personality.

“AHS: Apocalypse” will both frighten and amaze those who are into horror and thriller movies and television shows. And although audiences have not yet gotten a glimpse of the “Murder House” and “Coven” crossover, they may just have to wait and just be patient.