The Final Countdown

Katie Jones, Staff Reporter

With less than a week until the election between President Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden, students geared up for what was to be a historical event in their lifetime. Voters either had the choice to vote early from Oct. 19 through Nov. 1, or waiting for Tuesday, Nov. 3. The main focus of voter groups have been to encourage young voters between the ages of 18-35 to go to the polls. Social Media outlets such as Snapchat and Instagram had made planning to vote easier for younger voters, by showing them locations and times to stop by.

Some students were motivated to vote early this year, like Khilea Bliss (12) who preregistered just over a month before the election.  Earlier this year Bliss favored Democrat Bernie Sanders, but after he dropped out of the race Bliss voted for the Biden/Harris administration.

“If you were a Bernie supporter it’s kind of obvious why Biden is the better option. Trump and Bernie were exact opposites in all their views. I don’t agree with Trump’s decisions or attitude in office, so I’ll take the next best thing besides Bernie. Honestly, that’s primarily also why I voted Biden, Bernie dropped and I wanted Trump out.”

Like many voters, Bliss is concerned with issues like the economy, systematic racism and LGBTQ+ issues.

“For me personally, I feel that Biden’s tax policies are a good idea to help more money flow back into the economy.” Which refers to the part of Biden’s plan that includes raising taxes on people who have an annual income of $400,000 or higher.

Carissa Heuer (12) was an undecided voter, and before election day she was undecided if she will even vote at all. “I just don’t really want to…and it’s a lot of pressure.”

Lynlee Clarke (11) was not old enough to vote in the 2020 election, however, that did not stop her from being an avid supporter of the Republican incumbent. “I support Donald Trump because I also agree with a lot of the same things as he does, and a lot of his policies.”

Like all Americans, Clarke wants Covid-19 to be over, and if Trump is elected a second term, “I hope that he will crack down on this whole virus thing and get rid of it.”

Signing up. Khilea Bliss (12) votes for the 2020 Presidential Election on Nov. 3. She was encouraged by her family and people in her community to register. “I hate politics, but I hate bad politics more.”

Just a week before the election, Judge Amy Coney Barret was confirmed to the Supreme Court by Congress and the Senate. This decision has had mixed opinions. One of the main objectives is the 6-3 standing on the court (six conservatives, three liberals), which some find unfair. Another issue that made these voters tense is that the Supreme Court is to hear on The Affordable Care Act Nov. 10 and rule it as constitutional or not.

“I really don’t feel positive about the new judge, as someone in the LGBTQ+ community myself, I’m wary of her views and worried about what she might do overall,” said Bliss.

Heuer, unlike Bliss, was not concerned with the debate over Judge Barret because she mentioned that she didn’t pay attention to political issues.

Clarke still hasn’t made her decision on Barret’s addition to the court yet, but they both agree on some of the same issues like abortion. “I haven’t done enough research to answer that question yet.”

Though Election Night  was Nov. 3 it took almost a week for the Associated Press to announce a projected winner, Joe Biden. Biden was projected as President-Elect after the AP estimated him the winner of PA, which pushed him over 270. However, they are still counting mail-in and absentee ballots in states like GA, NV and AZ. Lots of states are beginning to certify the election results, and after multiple recounts Biden is the projected winner of all these states.